I have no fear of the EFCC, I will respond to their invitation any day and anytime – Fani Kayode

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Oil Prices Slip on Oversupply Concerns

Oil prices slipped in early Asian trading on Thursday, giving back some of the previous session’s gains as traders prepared for the end of the summer driving season and closely watched trade tensions between the U.S. and India. At the time of writing, West Texas Intermediate (WTI) was down 39 cents, or 0.61%, at $63.76…

Tinubu Departs Brazil for Nigeria After State Visit

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has concluded a three-day state visit to Brazil, departing the country for Abuja on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. The New Diplomat reports that the presidential jet took off from BrasĂ­lia International Airport Air Force Base, with a ceremonial send-off attended by Brazil’s Secretary for Africa and the Middle…

President’s son jailed 6 years in fraud case as power tussle soars in Equatorial Guinea

• Two brothers at war over who succeeds Nguema Mbasogo By Obinna Uballa An Equatorial Guinea court has sentenced Ruslan Obiang Nsue, son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, to six years in prison for illegally selling a plane belonging to the state airline, Ceiba Intercontinental, a case analysts say reflects growing rivalry within the…

Ad

FORMER Spokesperson to the ex- President Goodluck Jonathan’s Campaign Organisation, Chief Femi Fani- Kayode has denied some media reports that he was hiding from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, saying that was not true as he was not a coward.

Fani Fani- Kayode who described the report as totally absurd, said that he was not hiding as he has been in his Abuja residence in the last few weeks, adding that the EFCC never wrote him or called him on phone to explain his role in the Presidential Campaign funds of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, during the 2015 presidential elections. According to him, others who were alleged to be involved in the campaign funds were invited in a civilised way, treated in a humane and decent manner, even as he wondered why he should be treated differently, criminalised in the newspapers and not even afforded what he termed, common courtesy of a formal invitation by the EFCC , adding that he was waiting for a formal letter from the anti- graft agency or their call as he has handed over those saying he was running to God. In a statement titled, “My reaction to the allegation that I have gone underground and that I am hiding from the EFCC” and made available to Vanguard early this morning, the former Aviation Minister said, “I have just read some absurd media reports in which have quoted their sources in the EFCC, as saying that I had gone underground and that I was hiding from them.

This is false. I have not been invited by the EFCC by letter and neither have they phoned me or attempted to reach me in any other way. I have been in my Abuja home for the last few weeks and I am not hiding from anyone. “I am not a coward and this attempt to further demonise and humiliate me by the EFCC will fail. If they have any questions for me why don’t they just write to me or call me, give me a date and I will be in their office. I have made my position clear on the issue of the Presidential campaign funds, I have written an essay about it in my various columns about two weeks ago and I have been waiting for the EFCC to reach me ever since then. They have invited others but they have not invited me. I do not believe that I have done anything wrong and this latest attempt to criminalise me and make me look like a fugitive from justice will fail.

“Others that were invited to the EFCC over this same campaign funds issue were sent letters of invitation and were reached. I appear to be the exception and now these hideous lies are being fed to the newspapers to make it look as if I am in hiding or that I am running from them just to sensationalise the whole issue. “This is also to justify what the EFCC wish to do which is to arrest me in public, humiliate me or to storm my home and lock me up indefinitely.

There is no need for all that drama and if it happens that way the Nigerian people will know why. I have no fear of the EFCC, I will respond to their invitation any day and anytime they send it to me and I will help them to clarify whatever issues they wish to raise in any way that I can. “Others were invited in a civilised way and were treated in a humane and decent manner. I really do wonder why I should be treated differently, criminalised in the newspapers in this way and not even afforded the common courtesy of a formal invitation by them. I await their letter or their call and I leave those that wish to give the impression that I am running from them to God. “

Ad

X whatsapp