Nigerian Govt: No Plan To Ban Facebook

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

The Federal Government has clarified it has no plan of banning or suspending the operations of social media giant, Facebook, unless it continues to promote the incisive activities of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed stated this while addressing State House Correspondents after the weekly virtual Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Mohammed, at a parley with representatives of Facebook on Tuesday, expressed displeasure the social media giant had continued to allow IPOB use its platform to spread its incendiary messages to its followers, which he said has led to many deaths and large-scale destruction.

The Federal Government, last year, suspended the operations of another social media giant, Twitter for seven months over similar activity, an impasse eventually resolved after the company agreed to a set of terms tabled before it by government.

However, when he was asked whether the Federal Government was contemplating a ban on the operations of Facebook as it did to Twitter, Mohammed said there was no such plan yet as the government had a fruitful discussion with the company.

“I had a very fruitful meeting with Facebook yesterday (Tuesday). At that meeting, we expressed our displeasure that Facebook was becoming a power of choice for those who stay outside Nigeria, in particular, to incite violence, killings, burning of government properties, killing of soldiers and policemen and that they should do more than what they are doing now in looking at the contents, which are unwholesome, which are being used on their platforms.

“Incidentally, the BBC did a documentary on this particular issue and found out that some of them who call themselves social media warriors in England, in France and other places, have in recent times, been using the Facebook platform to incite violence in Nigeria and we’ve all seen the real life impact of those war mongering; the young couple who are going to marry, soldiers who were gruesomely murdered.

“Over this weekend in Anambra State, police men were killed, military barracks were attacked and we did warn Facebook to please do more than what they are doing now and I must say that their response was quite encouraging. They said you’re going to do much more,” he stressed.

Asked whether there is any plan to ban Facebook if the inciting of violence continues, he said: “I think I gave you an answer. We had a very robust discussion with Facebook. Facebook saw our point and they said they’re going to do much more than what they are doing. So if they do that, why would we ban them?

“We don’t ban for banning sake. We ban or we only suspend operations if for any reason, lives are threatened and they do not listen. But this is of engagement,” he explained.

Ad

X whatsapp