Nigerian Govt Lifts More Covid-19 Restrictions

The New Diplomat
Writer
Omicron Scare: Nigerian Govt Announces New Travel Protocols-19: PSC Issues Revised Int'l Travel Protocol Into Nigeria

Ad

Reno Omokri Appreciates Tinubu for ‘Christlike’ Ambassadorial Nomination

By Abiola Olawale Former presidential aide and prominent social commentator, Reno Omokri, has expressed gratitude to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu following his nomination as a non-career ambassador-designate. Omokri, known for his vocal opposition to the President before the nomination, described the gesture as "Christlike," emphasizing the theme of forgiveness and national unity. In a statement…

‘Embarrassing, Insensitive’: ADC Slams Tinubu’s Nomination of Former INEC Chair as Ambassador 

By Abiola Olawale ​The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has criticized President Bola Ahmed Tinubu's inclusion of the immediate past Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in his list of ambassadorial nominees, labeling the decision as both "embarrassing and insensitive." ​The nomination was part of a list of 32 additional ambassadorial nominees sent to…

(VIDEO) Bandits abduct pastor, worshippers in Kogi church attack, govt deploys helicopter, anti-kidnapping squad

By Obinna Uballa The Kogi State Government has launched a coordinated aerial and ground operation after armed bandits attacked a Cherubim and Seraphim church in Ejiba, Yagba West Local Government Area, on Sunday morning, November 30, 2025. Video footage posted by Egbe Emekun Parrot on Facebook and credited to Olusegun Iselaiye shows a state-deployed helicopter…

Ad

Nigeria’s Presidential Steering Committee (PSC) on COVID-19 has reviewed the country’s response to the pandemic given the declining number of cases in the country.

Mr Boss Mustapha, the Chairman of the committee and Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), disclosed on Wednesday in Abuja.

According to him, the decision followed the reduced risk of importation of new variants.

He said the decision was also due to the availability of vaccines and the increasing number of people vaccinated in Nigeria and globally.

Mustapha said the social restriction recommendations were revised in line with the three established thematic areas – movement, industry and labour, as well as community activities.

The SGF stated that the safety protocols provide a baseline from which state governments could further build to strengthen their responses based on their local circumstances.

“States should continue to consider them as the minimum guidelines required to ensure an acceptable level of epidemic control nationwide,” he stated.

He said there were no more formal restrictions on movement within the country as the nationwide curfew imposed from midnight to 4 a.m. had been lifted.

He added that the advisory limiting Nigerians to essential travels had been lifted, although citizens need to refrain from non-essential movements and comply with non-pharmaceutical guidelines such as the mandatory use of facemask/facial coverings in public, given the risks involved.

“Use of face mask to be mandatory for indoor activities but at individual’s discretion during outdoor activities.

“Those aged 60 and above or with co-morbidities such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease are advised to uphold the use of universal precaution which includes the use of face mask, avoid the crowd and frequent use of hand sanitisers,” he added.

According to him, no limitation on air travel – both domestic and international flights; but both international and domestic travellers must abide by existing protocols, including the use of a face mask while onboard and taking personal precaution measures.

He stated that all arriving international passengers must register with the Nigeria International Travel Portal (https://nitp.ncdc.gov.ng) and abide by the travel guidelines.

“No limitations on inter or intra-state travel; all vendors and service providers must abide by stated stipulations from Federal Ministry of Transportation; all passengers and commuters must wear face masks once on board, as well as continue to observe personal precautionary measures.”

In the area of industry and labour, the SGF recommended virtual meetings by offices for the private sector and advised against large meetings and asked operators to decongest offices and ensure they were well-ventilated.

According to him, normal work by all staff should resume in all offices, while encouraging measures to reduce congestion such as working from home or on-and-off days.

The chairman suggested mandatory use of face masks in closed offices and recommended safety protocols for all persons and discretionary use of appropriate measures.

However, he asked operators to encourage the use of approved Ag-Rapid Diagnostic Tests (RDT) as recommended in the Guidance for the Use of Approved COVID-19 Ag-RDTs in Nigeria.

NAN

Ad

X whatsapp