Nigeria To Retrieve Over 1,500 Stolen Artefacts In 2022 – DG NCMM

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer
Nigeria To Retrieve Over 1,500 Stolen Artefacts In 2022 – DG NCMM

Ad

U.S. Oil Output Beats Weekly Estimates in June

U.S. crude oil production hit a new record in June at 13.58 million barrels per day, according to the Energy Information Administration’s latest Petroleum Supply Monthly. That’s 133,000 barrels more than May and 2.5 percent higher than a year ago. The new monthly figures also show a sharp disconnect from the EIA’s weekly estimates. For…

Zelenskyy fumes as ex-Ukrainian parliament speaker is shot dead

By Obinna Uballa Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has condemned the killing of former parliament speaker Andriy Parubiy as a “horrendous murder,” vowing that every resource will be deployed to track down the attacker. “All necessary forces and means are engaged in the investigation and search for the killer,” Zelenskyy said in a statement on social…

Rivers Crisis: Fubara will return as governor after September 18, Wike declares

• Hails LG election as peaceful By Obinna Uballa Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has assured that Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, and the State House of Assembly will resume their constitutional duties once the emergency rule in the state expires on September 18. Wike, who spoke to journalists on Saturday…

Ad

The National Commission for Museums and Monuments (NCMM) has said no fewer than 1,500 Nigerian artefacts taken away will be retrieved from across the world in 2022.

Abba Tijani, director-general, NCMM, disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) during a telephone interview.

Mr Tijani said these were part of the over 5,000 artefacts carted away from different locations in Nigeria, decades ago.

The director-general said the artefacts would be retrieved from Germany, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and other individual museums across the globe.

Terms
He noted that agreements had been reached for the return of the Benin bronzes in the British Museum of Anthropology and Archeology at the University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, as they hold the second largest collection of such artefacts.

According to him, the largest number to be retrieved in 2022 will be coming from Germany with 1,030 Nigerian artefacts.

He said the Oxford University, England was also willing to return the Benin bronzes in their collection.

” We have not been able to retrieve much because the negotiation and agreement started this year; the artefacts are expected to start coming in from 2022.

” We have written formally to other museums with our artefacts, likewise the Australian embassy has organised a zoom meeting, to be held in January where we are going to meet with all the museum directors in Australia to discuss the terms of return.

He also said they have been contacted by museums in the United States of America and other individual museums in other countries saying that they are ready to return all the Benin bronzes in their collection.

Mr Tijani said the commission was working tirelessly on preparing a conducive environment for the artefacts to be kept in an international standard.

Goal
He said that upon return of the artefacts, the NCMM would organise a series of exhibitions where they would be displayed for the general public to have a glimpse of them.

The director-general explained that this was necessary to correct most Nigerians’ misconception that these artefacts were not genuinely returned.

He said the Federal Government would decide where the retrieved artefacts would be kept after the exhibition.

” For 2021, we have been able to retrieve two artefacts from the United Kingdom, one from Cambridge University and the other from University of Aberdeen Museum.

”Also at the United States Metropolitan Museum of Arts, we retrieved three Benin artefacts and we have agreed for the return of all the Benin bronzes in the whole of the historian museum in the United States of America.

He also revealed that President Muhammadu Buhari had authorised that the artefacts retrieved from Cambridge and Aberdeen be returned to the Oba of Benin palace from where it was initially carted away.

Mr Tijani added that even though the artefacts are not physically here yet, the agency is still processing the export permit.

” The Oba of Benin is happy about this and that is the reason he is proposing a royal museum; NCMM also has a national museum in Benin which we are planning to expand to be able to accommodate these artefacts when they finally arrive.

” We will ensure wherever the artefacts are kept are of international standard, just like where they are coming from, because they are precious materials that need to be properly preserved,” he said.

(NAN)

Ad

X whatsapp