Netanyahu Vows Ground Attack On Rafah, “With Or Without” Deal With Hamas

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, on Tuesday, April 30, pledged to launch a ground attack on Rafah “with or without” a deal with Hamas.

Speaking in a meeting with families of hostages, Netanyahu said that Israel had begun the evacuation of Palestinian civilians from Rafah, according to his office.

“We will enter Rafah and eliminate Hamas battalions there, with or without a deal, to achieve the total victory,” Netanyahu said.

The New Diplomat reports that Israel considers Rafah as Hamas’s last major stronghold in the Palestinian enclave.

Rafah is Gaza’s southernmost city, where about 1.2 million Palestinians have been seeking shelter from ground and air attacks by the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) since the October 7, 2023, unprecedented Hamas attacks in which about 1,200 Israelis and other nationals were killed, and over 200 seized as hostages.

Netanyahu’s remarks were made as Israeli and Hamas negotiators were in Egyptian-brokered talks on a deal for a ceasefire for the nearly seven-month-long Gaza conflict that will secure the release of hostages.

Ad

X whatsapp