NELFUND Speaks: How We ‘ll Spend ₦50 Billion Receipt from the EFCC

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

By Kawaekwune Jeffrey

The Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) has announced the receipt of the sum of ₦50 billion from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). This follows an initiative by President Bola Tinubu on August 4 to deploy funds to the NELFUND to help bolster the country’s student loan program.

Mrs. Oseyemi Oluwatuyi, NELFUND’s Director of Corporate Communications who disclosed this development on Friday, described this financial support as a significant step in improving access to education in Nigeria. She noted that the fund would provide essential financial aid to students in need as well as enable broader educational opportunities for Nigerian youth.

Oluwatuyi expressed gratitude to Tinubu for his commitment to the advancement of the nation’s educational sector.
She said: “This demonstrates the President’s visionary leadership and dedication to the future of Nigerian students.”

The NELFUND spokesperson also showered praises on the EFCC, led by its Executive Chairman Ola Olukayode, for what she described as” timely transfer of the funds.”

Oluwatuyi noted that the quick release of the N50bn aligns with the Federal government’s wider social intervention strategy aimed at supporting the nation’s vulnerable populations.

“This financial boost will enhance NELFUND’s ability to assist students in achieving their academic goals without the burden of financial constraints,” Oluwatuyi remarked.

She assured the public that NELFUND would manage the funds efficiently and ensure they benefit the students who need them most.

It would be recalled that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had on August 14, clarified media reports suggesting that it donated N50 billion to the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND) from its recovery account.

The Commission had explained that the funds were not a donation but rather part of recovered proceeds of crime that had been remitted to the government.

The NELFUND is an initiative of the Tinubu administration to assist Nigerian students in having access to appropriate loans to facilitate the payment of their fees in Nigerian tertiary institutions.

Ad

X whatsapp