NCC Orders Reactivation of All Disconnected Phone Lines

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Ad

By Afolabi Samuel Odunayo

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has instructed all telecom service providers in Nigeria to reactivate lines that were disconnected over the past weekend.

In a statement issued on Monday, July 29, Reuben Muoka, NCC Director of Public Affairs, clarified that the disconnections were due to subscribers’ failure to verify their National Identification Numbers (NINs) with their Subscriber Identification Modules (SIMs).

“These numbers were blocked by telecom service providers in accordance with the NIN-SIM linkage laws and policies,” Muoka explained.

Recall that the compulsory linkage of NIN with SIM began in December 2020, following a government directive to bar unregistered SIM cards and SIMs not linked to NIN.

Despite multiple extensions, with the latest deadline set for July 31, 2024, the director said many subscribers have yet to complete the verification process.

Stating the reasons for the compulsory linkage, Muoka said: “The Federal Government’s objectives for this exercise include enhancing national security and ensuring the accuracy of the national SIM ownership database.

“The NIN-SIM linkage policy verifies and protects users’ identities while supporting a robust digital economy.”

Given the disruptions caused by the blockages, the NCC has directed telecom operators to reactivate disconnected lines temporarily to allow subscribers more time to link their NINs with their SIMs.

“Consumers are our priority. We urge those who have not yet verified their SIMs to do so promptly to maintain access to their lines,” Muoka concluded.

Ad

X whatsapp