Nationwide Protests: Tinubu Appeals to Nigerians Again, Preaches Patience

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has reiterated his appeal to Nigerians on Wednesday, urging them to continue to support his administration.

The President vowed to take decisive action to tackle the country’s economic challenges, assuring Nigerians that his policies will deliver substantial results for all to see and feel.

Tinubu in an official video released by the State House on Wednesday, said he is listening to the demands of Nigerians.

He admitted that though the country is currently facing economic difficulties, his administration is on top of the situation to change the fortunes of Nigeria.

He attributed the hardship to an “avoidable lag” between the subsidy removal and the implementation of his administration’s plans.

He said: “Fellow Nigerians, this period may be hard on us, and there’s no doubt that it is tough on us, but I urge you all to look beyond the present temporary pains and aim at the larger picture. All our good and helpful plans are in the works. More importantly, I know that they will work. Sadly, there was an avoidable lag between subsidy removal.

“I plead with you, please, have faith in our ability to deliver and in our concern for your well-being. We will get out of this turbulence and due to the measures we have taken, Nigeria will be better equipped and able to take advantage of the future that awaits her.

“For example, we shall fulfil the promise to make education more affordable to all and provide loans to higher education students who may need them. No Nigerian students will have to abandon the higher education system because of lack of money.

“Our commitment is to promote the greatest good for the greatest number of our people. On principle, we shall never falter, I assure you, my fellow countrymen and women, that we are exiting the darkness to enter a new and glorious dawn. Now, I must get back to work to make this vision come true.”

The New Diplomat reports that this is the second time Tinubu has addressed the nation following the commencement of the nationwide protests.

He previously addressed the nation in a national broadcast on Sunday, August 4, 2024.

The President’s plea comes as protests continue to in certain states across the country.

Ad

X whatsapp