N3.2bn Fraud: Again, Kalu Loses Bid To Stop Witness From Giving Evidence

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Nominates Mahmud Yakubu, Fani-Kayode, Omokri, Others as Ambassadors

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has forwarded a fresh list of 32 ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for screening and confirmation. The list features a mix of seasoned career diplomats and high-profile non-career appointees, including several notable political figures whose nominations have instantly generated significant public discourse. ​This second batch of nominations comes…

Why Guinea-Bissau Coup is More Painful Than 2015 Election Loss– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has described the recent military coup in Guinea-Bissau, which halted a nearly completed electoral process, as a deeper personal blow than his own 2015 presidential election defeat. ​In a statement following his evacuation from the West African nation where he was serving as an election observer, Jonathan…

Kano Govt Demands Immediate Arrest of Ex-Governor Ganduje Over Security Comments

By Abiola Olawale The Kano State Executive Council has called for the immediate investigation and arrest of the former Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, following what it describes as "inciting and reckless" public comments concerning the state's security situation. The demand, raised after a State Executive Council meeting on Thursday, accused the former governor of…

Ad

Again, a former governor of Abia State, Orji Uzor Kalu, on Monday, April 10, 2017, failed in his bid to stop a prosecution witness, Christiana O. a manager with the United Bank of Africa (UBA) Umuaka branch, Umuahia, Abia State, from giving further evidence in a criminal charge of N3.2 billion brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, before Justice Muhammed Idris of the Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos.
At the last sitting, Kalu, though his lead counsel, Mike Ozekhome, SAN, had raised an objection to the witness giving further testimony on the grounds of an alleged error in the additional proof of evidence filed by the prosecution.
However, during today’s hearing, Justice Idris said that granting the prayer of the defence would amount to injustice on the part of the prosecution, since PW2 had already started giving her evidence in the case.
The judge also held that the signatory to the additional proof of evidence had complied with the provisions of professional conduct.
Consequently, PW2, while being led in in evidence by the prosecution counsel, Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, gave a blow-by-blow account of some bank drafts allegedly issued at Government House, Umuahia during the administration of the former governor.
The bank drafts were tendered and admitted in evidence as exhibits B1 to B33.
In his testimony, PW2 told the court that the sum of N25 million and another N15 million were paid into the account of one M. A. Udoh on April 7, 2005.
She further revealed that Udoh allegedly collected the money the same day.
“Other drafts for N15 million and N26 million were issued in favour of R.K Madu on August 2, 2005.
” He also withdrew the money the same day from Inland Bank Plc., ” she added.
However, while under cross-examination by Goddy Uche, SAN, counsel to the first defendant, the witness stated that she did not see the name or picture of Kalu in the mandate card.
” Kalu did not come to me to open or process any of the bank drafts,” she told the court.
The case was adjourned to April 11, 2017 for continuation of trial.

Ad

X whatsapp