Monday Okpebholo Opens Up: Why I Haven’t Invited Obaseki To My Swearing-in Ceremony 

Abiola Olawale
Writer

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

By Kolawole Ojebisi 

Edo state Governor-elect, Monday Okpebholo has revealed that he has deliberately refused to extend an invite to his immediate predecessor and outgoing Governor of Edo State, Mr Godwin Obaseki for his swearing-in ceremony scheduled for Tuesday.

Okpebholo alleged that Governor Obaseki, through his actions, has tacitly shown unwillingness to cooperate with him, adding that the outgoing governor is allegedly doing everything to frustrate peaceful transition of power.

The incoming governor noted that Obaseki has yet to congratulate him on his victory at the September 21 governorship election.

Okpebholo also accused Obaseki of playing politics of bitterness by not inviting him to the Government House for a meeting or a tour as formality demands.

The Governor-elect said this in a statement issued by his media aide, Godspower Inegbe, and made available to newsmen on Sunday.

He said: “Again, Obaseki also claimed that Senator Okpebholo did not invite him to the inauguration slated for next Tuesday. This is laughable, absurd, and questionable. Since Okpebholo was declared the winner, Obaseki has employed every means to frustrate a peaceful transfer of power.

“As a sitting governor, Obaseki should tell Edo people and Nigerians if he has ever invited the governor-elect to Government House for a meeting or a tour as a responsible man. Has Obaseki called Senator Okpebholo to congratulate him since he won the election?”

What reportedly sparked Okpebholo’s reaction was a statement credited to Obaseki on Saturday.

Obaseki had alleged that the governor-elect and his party, the All Progressives Congress, were planning his inauguration without consulting or involving the state government in the preparations.

The outgoing governor, who condemned the development and described it as “lawless”, stressed that he has yet to get an invite for the swearing-in ceremony of Okpebholo.

However, Okpebholo in his reaction, described the governor’s statement as incorrect,

Ad

X whatsapp