Minister of Power Resigns Amid Electricity Crisis

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

Sierra Leone’s minister of energy, Kanja Sesay has announced his decision to resign his position from the administration of President Julius Maada Bio.

The resignation of Sesay was announced in a statement issued by the president’s office on Friday.

Although the real reason for the resignation was not clearly stated in the press statement, it comes amidst the electricity crisis troubling Sierra Leone.

It would be recalled that the Ministry of Energy had been placed under the direct supervision of President Julius Maada Bio, who was assisted by two other officials.

Most of the parts of Sierra Leone were reportedly experiencing total power outages over alleged debts owed to the two power providers in the country.

Sesay’s resignation also came hours after the government paid $18.5 million to two power providers, Turkish Karpowership and Transco-CLSG group.

According to reports, Sierra Leone owed the two producers a total of $40 million.

Karpowership has been supplying electricity to Sierra Leone since 2018 from a floating offshore unit. Still, it had reduced its capacity from 65 megawatts to just five in recent months due to payment issues.

“We are pleased to confirm that the electricity supply has returned to full capacity in Freetown,” the Turkish group said in a statement after the latest payment was announced.

Ad

X whatsapp