Middle-East Crisis: Mahmoud Abbas Urges Blinken To Advocate Gaza Ceasefire

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

By Ken Afor

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, Sunday, made an unanticipated visit to the controlled West Bank where Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas implored him to encourage Israel to ceasefire as more fatalities occurred due to an attack on a refugee camp.

A spokesman for the health ministry, governed by Hamas in the Gaza Strip, mentioned that the Israeli military had launched an airstrike on the Maghazi refugee camp which resulted in the death of 47 people.

The Gaza health ministry reported that 21 Palestinians from one family, including women and children, had been slain in Israeli air raids that happened during the night.

“We demand that you stop them from committing these crimes immediately,” Abbas told Blinken, demanding an “immediate ceasefire” from Israel.

“There are no words to describe the war of genocide and destruction to which our Palestinian people are being subjected in Gaza at the hands of the Israeli war machine, without regard to the rules of international law,” Palestinian news agency WAFA quoted Abbas as telling Blinken.

On Saturday, Foreign Ministers from Qatar, Saudi, Egypt, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates convened with Blinken in Amman and urged the United States to get Israel to agree to a ceasefire.

However, Blinken refused the proposal, arguing that it would just provide benefits to Hamas and let them stage a renewed attack.

In contrast, the US proposed pauses in clashes so that important aid and evacuations would be attainable in the crowded Gaza area.

“The Secretary reaffirmed the United States’ commitment to the delivery of life-saving humanitarian assistance and resumption of essential services in Gaza and made clear that Palestinians must not be forcibly displaced,” spokesperson Matthew Miller said.

Since Hamas seized control of Gaza in 2007, Abbas’s influence has been significantly reduced.

Israel claims that it is aiming its weapons at Hamas and not civilians, and suggests that Hamas are using Palestinian citizens as shields.

On Sunday, Gaza health officials reported that, since Hamas fighters launched a strike on southern Israel on October 7, resulting in 1,400 deaths and the taking of over 240 hostages, almost 9,770 Palestinians have been killed in the connected war.

Two Egyptian security sources and a medical source told Reuters that evacuations of injured Gazans and foreign passport holders through the Rafah crossing to Egypt have had to be halted since Saturday due to an Israeli strike on Friday that targeted an ambulance transporting injured people.

On Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reprimanded a minor government official due to the individual’s indication of possible nuclear assault on the Gaza Strip.

Subsequently, Israeli forces carried out multiple raids on the Gaza Strip by sea, air and land, causing catastrophic destruction.

A reportedly significant number of houses in the Maghazi refugee camp were destroyed as a result of the assaults. When questioned for details, the Israeli military mentioned they were gathering information.

Ad

X whatsapp