2023: Masari Tenders Withdrawal Letter As Tinubu’s VP Placeholder

Abiola Olawale
Writer
2023: Masari Tenders Withdrawal Letter As Tinubu’s VP Placeholder

Ad

Tinubu Departs Brazil for Nigeria After State Visit

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has concluded a three-day state visit to Brazil, departing the country for Abuja on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. The New Diplomat reports that the presidential jet took off from Brasília International Airport Air Force Base, with a ceremonial send-off attended by Brazil’s Secretary for Africa and the Middle…

President’s son jailed 6 years in fraud case as power tussle soars in Equatorial Guinea

• Two brothers at war over who succeeds Nguema Mbasogo By Obinna Uballa An Equatorial Guinea court has sentenced Ruslan Obiang Nsue, son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, to six years in prison for illegally selling a plane belonging to the state airline, Ceiba Intercontinental, a case analysts say reflects growing rivalry within the…

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

Ad

The placeholder for the position of the Vice presidential ticket of the All Progressives Congress(APC), Ibrahim Masari, has announced his decision to resign the position.

Masari made this announcement in a letter addressed to the APC. He said his decision to step down from the position was taken after wide consultations in the party.

He noted that his decision will enable the presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu have more latitude to give more accommodation and inclusion that will position the party to win the coming elections, with the support of the people of Nigeria.

The statement read, “This is to inform our esteemed party leaders under our able President Muhammadu Buhari teeming party members and the great people of Nigeria, of the outcome of a crucial discussion I just had with the flagbearer of our great party, the APC, Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

“I had the singular honour and privilege of being nominated as the running mate to Asiwaju Tinubu last month after a keenly contested presidential primary ahead of the 2023 general election.

“But, after much reflection and wider consultations, I now wish to step down. I realised that my decision will enable Asiwaju to have more latitude to give more accommodation and inclusion that will position our party to win the coming elections, with the support of the people of Nigeria.

“In stepping down, I believe I can still serve our party and the country in several other capacities.

“I wish to confirm that I have submitted my withdrawal letter and affidavit to that effect as the vice-presidential candidate to Asiwaju Bola TInubu in the coming elections.

“On behalf of myself and family, I wish to sincerely thank Asiwaju Tinubu — the incoming President, Insha Allah — for his trust in me and we promise to remain steadfast in our support for him and the party.”

The New Diplomat had earlier reported that Tinubu has picked Senator Kashim Shettima as his running mate for the 2023 presidential election.

It was learnt that an official unveiling is imminent, as Shettima is set to be revealed as the Vice-Presidential candidate of the APC, by President Muhammadu Buhari today, Sunday, June 10.

Ad

X whatsapp