Lekki Shootings: More Details As LCC Claims CCTV Stopped Working After 8pm

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

U.S. Crude Stocks Fall Another 2.4 Million Barrels

Crude oil inventories in the United States decreased by 2.4 million barrels during the week ending August 22, after falling 6 million barrels in the week prior, according to new data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) released on Wednesday. The build brings commercial stockpiles to 418.3 million barrels according to government data, which…

NASA Chief, Experts Hail SpaceX as its Starship nails key test flight after fiery failures

By Obinna Uballa SpaceX's major win on Tuesday as its big Starship rocket successfully completed a critical test flight, marking a turnaround after a string of explosive setbacks earlier in the year, has elicited reactions, reports said. Experts have reportedly hailed the move as groundbreaking. The more-than-400-foot rocket, central to SpaceX’s commercial ambitions and NASA’s…

Ad

More details are beginning to make it to the public domain on the infamous Lekki shooting incident that gripped the nation recently.

Managing Director of the Lekki Concession Company, LCC, Mr. Abayomi Omomu­wasi said the CCTV cameras at Lekki Toll Gate stopped working at 8p.m. on October 20, the day military men allegedly shot at un­armed #EndSARS protest­ers.

Omomuwasi who made the disclosure while testifying during pro­ceedings of Lagos #End­SARS Judicial Panel on Tuesday said the cameras stopped working due to network hitches.

Read also: #EndSARS Protests: A Fundamental Lesson In Democratic Governance, By Bola Tinubu

Items the panel admitted into evidence from the LCC boss were a portable storage containing the October 20 footage, a press release, pic­tures of vandalised equip­ment and copies of emails.

The LCC MD in his testimony said: “We never tampered with the surveillance camera, that is why we have footage until 8p.m. when it stopped recording.

“It was around 8p.m. that we did not get any CCTV re­cording. It stopped recording because of network issues with the system.

“The major cause is that we have the network that con­nects our cameras together at Ikoyi Link Bridge, Chev­ron office and the Lekki Toll Gate.

“What brings them togeth­er is resident at the Ikoyi Toll Gate plaza which has been burnt.”

Omomuwasi added that the surveillance equipment at the toll gate had been upgraded to make its surveillance footage capture as far as 1.75km and 2km, noting that audio was not activated in the surveil­lance cameras because they were used solely for traffic management.

The LCC MD said that no CCTV camera was removed hours before the shooting on October 20.

“Early in the morning of October 20 around 10a.m. we noticed that they started tam­pering with our equipment and we decided to harvest our equipment because they are very important, expensive,” he said.

He said that on October 20, the automatic plate number recognition camera was re­moved as well as other equip­ment such as laptops.

Omomuwasi noted that the LCC is 100 percent owned by the Lagos State govern­ment and its sources of reve­nue were tolling revenue and adverts on the road.

He said that the adverts were outsourced to private advertising agencies to max­imise revenue, adding that LCC was not involved in sup­plying power to the signage at the toll gate.

Read also: #EndSARS Protesters Form Coalition, Initiate Process To Elect Leaders

Omomuwasi also de­bunked a social media report which alleged that LCC Chief Security Officer is a former SARS officer and was asked to molest #EndSARS protesters at the toll gate.

“We do not have a former SARS officer in our employ. We have dedicated police­men because of the value of our equipment and the cash we hold,” he said.

According to Omomuwasi, there were no fatal casualties from the shootings of October 20, amid Amnesty International’s contrary claim.

The LCC MD appealed to the panel to allow the compa­ny access to the toll gate to en­able assessment of the dam­age and renovation works.

“Presently employees are not working, we are current­ly at home. We have not had access to the toll gate.

“We will like to appeal to the panel to allow us access the damage, attend to insur­ance and other issues.

“Any projection on the damage is just guess work. The whole tolling system is destroyed, it will take nothing less than six months to repair as we have to do procurement, design etc,” he said.

However, the Chairman of the nine-member panel, re­tired Justice Doris Okuwobi, said that the panel would not grant the company immediate possession of the Lekki Toll Gate plaza, owing to the need for the panel to make another visit to the toll gate after viewing the footage the LCC had presented.

Ad

X whatsapp