Lai Mohammed: We Won’t Allow Fake News Vendors to Ruin Nigeria

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer
Taliban Takeover: Lessons US Should Learn From Nigeria – Lai Mohammed

Ad

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

U.S. Crude Stocks Fall Another 2.4 Million Barrels

Crude oil inventories in the United States decreased by 2.4 million barrels during the week ending August 22, after falling 6 million barrels in the week prior, according to new data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) released on Wednesday. The build brings commercial stockpiles to 418.3 million barrels according to government data, which…

NASA Chief, Experts Hail SpaceX as its Starship nails key test flight after fiery failures

By Obinna Uballa SpaceX's major win on Tuesday as its big Starship rocket successfully completed a critical test flight, marking a turnaround after a string of explosive setbacks earlier in the year, has elicited reactions, reports said. Experts have reportedly hailed the move as groundbreaking. The more-than-400-foot rocket, central to SpaceX’s commercial ambitions and NASA’s…

Ad

Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed has reiterated  that the federal government must enunciate acceptable protocols and metrics to regulate social media in Nigeria  to prevent the public space from sliding completely into  the hands of “fake news and hate speech” promoters.

The minister spoke on Saturday when he paid an inspection visit to the management and staff of The Nation newspaper  and TV Continental in Lagos to identify with them over the torching of their buildings by protesting hoodlums who allegedly hijacked #EndSARS protest in Lagos.

Alhaji Mohammed said  the federal government did not at any time envisage, design  or contemplate shutting down social  media platforms in Nigeria as they are integral part of the democratic process.Fake News

Read also: Sadiya Umar-Faruk Speaks: I’ve Forgiven Those Who Accused Me Of Concealing Covid-19 Palliatives

He however insisted that regulating social media is now imperative to prevent it from triggering  an uncontrollable era of fake news and hate speech that is capable of wrecking the country.

He said,  “We must regulate the social media in a manner that it does not become a purveyor of fake news and hate speech.”

According to the  News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)  the minister  who was accompanied on the visit  by heads of parastatals and  agencies within his ministry, the federal government  will not  fold its arms and allow purveyors of fake news and hate speech in the social media create an atmosphere of instability.

He said: “ We will not fold our arms to allow purveyors of fake news and hate speech to use the social media to destabilise the country. We did not at any time say that we will shut down the social media.”

He added, “Social media has come to stay and it will be an antithesis to democracy to shut it down because it is the fastest way of disseminating information.

“However, we must regulate the social media in a manner that it does not become a purveyor of fake news and hate speech.

“We will not fold our arms to allow purveyors of fake news and hate speech to use the social media to destabilise the country.”

The minister explained that  the federal government  anticipated the dangers associated with hate speech and fake news way back in 2017 hence it spoke publicly about the need to regulate the social media space.

Read also: #EndSARS: Reactions As Nigerian Army Claims Sanwo-Olu Ordered Clampdown On Lekki Protesters

“We saw as far back as 2017 that the next epidemic that will hit Nigeria and the entire world is fake news and misinformation.

“Based on that, we dedicated an entire National Council on Information meeting in Jos to the issue.

 “After this, we launched a national campaign on fake news on July 11, 2018, where we stressed that the next war will be fought without a shot being fired but with the use fake news.

“We did not stop there. We went on a tour of all media houses seeking their support against fake news,” the minister  said.

NAN  reports that  Lai Mohammed had  on Oct. 8 requested  the help and collaboration  of the National Assembly in designing  a national  social media policy to aid government in the management of fake news and hate speech.

(Content curtesy of NAN)

Ad

X whatsapp