JUST IN: Gunshots As Youths Protest At Port Harcourt LG Secretariat

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

There were sporadic gunshots at the Secretariat of Port Harcourt City Council, on Tuesday, as the police scared away scores of youths who stormed the secretariat to protest.

The youths said they were at the secretariat to carry out a peaceful demonstration against the immediate past local government council chairmen whom they claimed have refused to vacate office after expiration of their tenure.

A spokesperson of the group said immediately the police sighted them, they started shooting at them.

“We are Ijaw youths; we are here on a peaceful demonstration against those whose tenure have expired but said they will not vacate their office. We are not here to make trouble but we were on a peaceful demonstration but the police started shooting at us,” he said.

Also speaking, leader of Port Harcourt City youths, who also came to demonstrate at the Secretariat , Allwell Ichemanti, said one of the youths was shot by the police.

He accused the immediate past Chairman of the Council of inviting the police to attack them.

The deafening gunshots caused pandemonium along the stretch of the council Secretariat adjacent to both the state police command headquarters and Rivers State House of Assembly as residents and passersby scampered for safety.

Efforts made to speak with State Police Command Public Relation Officer, SP Grace Iringe Koko, proved abortive as her phone was switched off but the Commissioner of Police , Olatunji Disu, had earlier said men of the command had been deployed in various councils to maintain peace.

Credit: News Express

Ad

X whatsapp