Joshua Dreams Of Title Defence In Nigeria

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

Anthony Joshua has revealed his desire to defend his world heavyweight titles in Nigeria after his rematch win over Andy Ruiz Jr. on Saturday night  in the Clash of Dunes, reports Belfast Telegraph.

Joshua, who is of Nigerian heritage, was congratulated on his points success in Saudi Arabia by the country’s president, Muhammadu Buhari.

Joshua is expected to return to London to defend his titles against Kubrat Pulev but his promoter Eddie Hearn has received numerous offers to stage future bouts elsewhere.

The 30-year-old Joshua said he began to dream of a fight in Nigeria – which would be the first on the continent outside South Africa since the ‘Rumble in the Jungle’ in 1974 – after visiting the country earlier this year.

Joshua said: “People have been telling me I should go back for ages. It was crazy because they don’t have 24-hour electricity but they still know me and support me.

“I went to the ghettos of the ghettos where it’s not all about egos and beef, it’s about people who are hungry to survive.

“It was one of the best things I’ve done. Africa’s rooting for me for sure, so I would definitely love to fight out there.”

Joshua’s parents are both of Nigerian descent, and the fighter made a bid to represent the country at the 2008 Olympics, only to be turned down by boxing officials.

While a prospective bout in Nigeria remains a long-term ambition, Joshua revealed he has no intention of slackening off his training regime over Christmas.

He is expected to meet Pulev in a mandatory title defence in April or May before moving on to take on another commitment – possibly against Oleksandr Usyk – later in 2020.

Joshua added: “Five months from now, the belts go in the air and I have to defend them again.

“I am only the champion for months again, so I can’t get too caught up in the moment and have to stay focused on the task at hand, which is not staying undefeated any more, but staying champion for as long as possible.”

Ad

X whatsapp