Jonathan’s ex-ADC sues EFCC for N100m

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Why Africa’s Security Needs Urgent Attention, Gambari Offers Insights

In a powerful goodwill message at the inaugural African Chiefs of Defence Staff Summit in Abuja, eminent Scholar-Diplomat and former Nigerian Foreign Affairs Minister, Professor Ibrahim Agboola Gambari, issued a clarion call to redefine Africa’s security framework to secure sustainable peace and stability. Speaking at the summit, themed “Combating Contemporary Threats to Regional Peace and…

Dangote Group mourns as Phyna’s sister Ruth Otabor Dies after truck accident

By Obinna Uballa The Dangote Group has expressed deep sorrow over the death of Mrs. Ruth Otabor, sister to Big Brother Naija Season 7 winner, Ijeoma “Phyna” Otabor, who succumbed to injuries sustained in a recent accident involving one of the company’s trucks in Auchi, Edo State. In a statement on Sunday, the company said…

How Szoboszlai’s Stunner Sunk Arsenal in Liverpool Triumph

Liverpool on Sunday defeated Arsenal in a 1-0 victory at Anfield Stadium. Liverpool secured all three points after Dominik Szoboszlai scored a stunner from a 30-yard free-kick. This means that Liverpool maintained their perfect start to the 2025-26 Premier League season. The New Diplomat reports that the match was a tense affair, with Arsenal’s defense…

Ad

A former Aide-de-Camp to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, Col. Ojogbane Adegbe, has sued the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission at the Federal Territory High Court in Gudu, demanding N100m compensation for alleged unlawful detention by the anti-graft agency.

Adegbe said he had been in the EFCC detention since February 11, 2016 without being charged with any offence.

The suit with number CV/995/16 was filed by the plaintiff through his counsel, Ogwu Onoja (SAN), on February 17, 2016.

The suit is to come for hearing before Justice Y. Halilu on Friday.

The plaintiff contended in his suit that the EFCC by his continued detention violated his right to personal liberty and freedom of movement guaranteed under Section 35 and 41 of the 1999 Constitution.

He also contended that the EFCC’s action violated Articles 5, 6 and 12 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.

The plaintiff said he was summoned by Army authorities from the United Kingdom where he was attending a course after he finished serving as Jonathan’s ADC on May 29, 2015 – to face EFCC interrogation.

His brother, Daniel Adegbe, who deposed to an affidavit in support of the suit, stated that the EFCC had continued to detain the ex-ADC despite the fact that the anti-graft agency had obtained his statement on the day he was arrested.

The plaintiff is seeking the following prayers, “A declaration that the arrest and continued detention of the applicant by the respondent since February 11, 2016 is unconstitutional as it offends his right to personal liberty as guaranteed by Section 35 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended).

“An order directing the respondent to release the applicant from unlawful detention with immediate effect.

“Or, in the alternative to Prayer 2, hereof; an order admitting the applicant to bail, pending his trial in a court of competent jurisdiction.

“N100m as general damages for unlawful detention of the applicant.

“A written apology by the respondent to the applicant.”

Ad

X whatsapp