Jail Break: Manhunt Begins As NCoS Says 5 Escaped Inmates of Kogi Prison Have Been Nabbed

Abiola Olawale
Writer

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

Seven Still on the Run…

By Abiola Olawale 

In a swift response, the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) have revealed that its operatives have been able to successfully recapture five of the twelve inmates who escaped from the Medium Security Custodial Centre in Koton Karfe, Kogi State, on Monday, March 24, 2025.

This comes after the 12 inmates broke out of the prison in the early hours of Monday. According to reports, the inmates were said to have manipulated the padlocks in one section of the facility.

However, in a press statement issued by DCC Abubakar Umar, NCoS spokesman, the recaptured inmates were tracked down within hours of their escape as part of an intensified manhunt.

According to Umar, the Acting Controller General of Corrections, Sylvester Ndidi Nwakuche, has ordered a thorough investigation to uncover the circumstances that led to the breach.

Also, the statement confirmed that personnel have been sent to secure the facility and restore order while a manhunt began for the escapees, with five of the twelve inmates recaptured and efforts ongoing to find the remaining seven.

The statement reads in part: “The Nigerian Correctional Service confirms a security breach at the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Koton-Karfe, Kogi State, which occurred in the early hours of Monday, 24 March 2024.

“During the unfortunate incident, some inmates in a section of the facility manipulates the padlocks, leading to the escape of 12 inmates.

“Upon receiving reports of the attack, the Acting Controller General of Corrections, Sylvester Nwakuche, in collaboration with heads of sister security agencies including the SSA to the Governor of Kogi State immediately mobilised to the facility, and personnel were deployed to secure the facility, restore order, and initiate a manhunt for the escapees.

“As of this moment, five of the fleeing inmates have been recaptured, while efforts are ongoing to apprehend the remaining inmates and bring them to justice.”

Ad

X whatsapp