ISIS claimed responsibility for Friday’s series of attacks in Paris

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

NASA Chief, Experts Hail SpaceX as its Starship nails key test flight after fiery failures

By Obinna Uballa SpaceX's major win on Tuesday as its big Starship rocket successfully completed a critical test flight, marking a turnaround after a string of explosive setbacks earlier in the year, has elicited reactions, reports said. Experts have reportedly hailed the move as groundbreaking. The more-than-400-foot rocket, central to SpaceX’s commercial ambitions and NASA’s…

Experts Urge tighter border controls as FG eyes $300m from raw shea nut export ban

By Obinna Uballa Experts have stressed the need for stricter border enforcement to ensure the success of the Federal Government’s six-month ban on raw shea nut exports, a policy aimed at curbing informal trade and generating $300 million in revenue. “The ban is a welcome development. The price of shea butter has skyrocketed in recent…

2027: Jonathan Speaks on electoral reforms, as pressure to contest rises

• Says, Office of Registrar of political Parties necessary By Obinna Uballa Former President Goodluck Jonathan has renewed calls for sweeping electoral reforms in Nigeria, even as pressure builds within the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and among political interest groups for him to contest the 2027 presidential election. Jonathan, while speaking on Wednesday at the…

Ad

ISSIISIS claimed responsibility for Friday’s series of attacks in Paris in an online statement distributed by supporters. The statement says that eight ISIS militants wearing explosive belts and armed with machine guns attacked precisely selected targets in the French capital. The attacks, which left at least 128 people dead, is one of the deadliest massacres in France in recent years.

Parisiens woke up Saturday to a full realization of the horror wrought by the terrorist attacks of the previous evening — violence deadlier than anything Paris has experienced since World War II.

No place, it seemed was safe. The West’s counterterrorism strategy appeared in tatters. And coming just 10 months after the attack on the satirical Charlie Hebdo magazine, where 12 people were killed, one had to wonder whether France had become a particular target.

French President Francois Hollande said Saturday that ISIS was responsible for Friday’s series of deadly attacks. He called the coordinated attacks “an act of war.”

It was the deadliest terrorist attack in Europe since the Madrid train bombings of 2004, in which 191 people died. And it came less than two weeks after after a Russian plane crashed in Sinai — downed, intelligence officials believe, by a terrorist bomb– killing all 224 people aboard.

Some intelligence officials are also blaming that act of terrorism on ISIS, which seems to be eclipsing al Qaeda as the most significant global terrorist threat..

Here is what we know so far:

What happened?

— Coordinated attacks took place in six locations throughout Paris late Friday, including a theater, the Stade de France, and at least two restaurants.

— The Paris Police Prefecture said the toll was at least 128. The spokesman said 180 people had been injured, 99 of whom were in critical condition. The death toll is expected to rise significantly, said Paris’ Deputy Mayor, Patrick Klugman.

— Eight terrorists died, seven of them in suicide bombings.

— We do not know if other attackers are at large. Police are searching for any possible attackers or accomplices.

— No group has taken responsibility for the attacks.

— President Francois Hollande was at Stade de France, where France was hosting Germany in a soccer friendly. Hollande was evacuated and has vowed a ruthless response to the attacks.

Where were the attacks?

Bataclan concert hall

— At least 112 people were killed here, according to the French interior ministry, though the Paris prosecutor said the number was “around 80.”

— Police stormed the theater in a rescue operation. Four attackers were killed, three of whom were wearing explosive belts.

— An U.S. band, “Eagles of Death Metal,” a pop alternative group from Palm Desert, California, had been scheduled to play.

— A witness told Radio France the attackers entered firing pump rifles and shouting “Allah akbar.”

Witness: They shot at us like birds

Stade de France

— Four people were killed outside the sports stadium in Saint-Denis, a suburb to the north of Paris.

— France was playing Germany in a soccer match at the time.

— A witness, Gabriel Haddad, told CNN two explosions could be heard in the background during the game.

— One of the explosions appeared to be a suicide bombing, a Western intelligence source receiving direct intelligence from the scene told CNN’s Deborah Feyerick.

— A dismembered body, consistent with the aftermath of an explosion from that type of device, was found at the scene, the source said.

Other locations

— At least 14 people were killed at the site of the restaurant located on Rue Bichat, in the 10th district of Paris.

— At least 19 people were killed outside a bar called La Belle Equipe on Rue de Charonne in the 11th district of Paris.

— Four people died on Avenue de la Republique, in the 10th district of Paris.

The scene in Paris

— President Hollande said Friday that a state of emergency was being put in place in the Paris.

— French authorities say they have tightened border controls to prevent potential attackers from entering, and to capture anyone involved in attacks.

Elsewhere

— U.S. President Barack Obama pledged solidarity with France, saying, “We’ve seen an outrageous attempt to terrorize innocent civilians.”

— A U.S. government official said that, at the moment, there is no credible or specific threat to the United States.

— American intelligence agencies are looking at all signals intelligence, including communications intercepts, for any indication that there had been advance planning or coordination, according to a US intelligence official.

— Russian leader Vladimir Putin sent condolences to President Hollande and the people of France.

Ad

X whatsapp