INEC Suspends Rivers By-Election

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has suspended the August 18 by-election into the Port Harcourt 3 Constituency, owing to widespread violence that rocked different wards and polling units, halfway into the election process.

The by-election, which involved 142 polling units, was conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to fill the vacancy left by Victor Ihunwo, now Chairman, Port Harcourt City Local Government Area.

According to Obo Effanga, Rivers State Resident Electoral Commissioner, miscreants and political thugs, who were protected by some security personnel, thwarted the by-election midway into the process.

He said: “The election commenced peacefully in all the units with all the INEC personnel (adhoc and permanent) with all their materials reporting to their duty posts well ahead of time.

“However, midway into the elections, miscreants and hoodlums accompanied by heavily armed security personnel in uniform, stormed the various polling units and registered areas, disrupting voting activities, destroying and carting away election materials, including smart cards readers and ballot boxes. In addition, many electoral officials were manhandled, injured and held hostage.

“As a result of this widespread and wanton disruption of the electoral process, as reported from the field by the Supervisory Presiding Officers and Supervisors from the commission and also, having reviewed the situation, the Commission in accordance with the provisions of Section 26 of the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended), has decided to suspend the elections forthwith.”

Meanwhile, according to information gathered by SaharaReporters, some of the thugs involved in the violence were allegedly working for the Chief Security Adviser to Governor Nyesom Wike, who was said to have disrupted the exercise, because he sensed that the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate was in the lead.

Ad

X whatsapp