In Two Weeks, FG To Block SIM Cards Not Matched With NIN; Gives Reasons

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

All GSM phone subscribers whose SIM cards are not linked with their National Identification Numbers (NINs) by December 30 will be disconnected from their networks.

The federal government announced this following a meeting of com­munications sector stakeholders convened by the Minister of Com­munications and Digital Economy, Dr. Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami, on Monday.

Read also:


Reps Fault FG’s Ultimatum On Sim Registration, Pass Resolution To Extend NIN Update

Outrage Over FG’s Directive To Telcos To Block Sims Without NINnew NIN and SIM Cards

Earlier there was a direc­tive on the suspension of new SIM registration by network operators in the country.

A statement by Dr. Ikechukwu Adinde, Director, Public Affairs, NCC, said the communications stakeholders at the meeting, agreed there’s need to consoli­date the achievements of last year’s SIM registration audit and improve the performance and sanity of the sector was exhaustively discussed and all stakeholders agreed that urgent drastic measures had become inevitable to improve the integrity and transparen­cy of the SIM registration process.

He said the decisions to be immediately implementa­ted by all network operators include “affirmation of the earlier directive to totally suspend registration of new SIMs by all operators”.

He continued: “Operators to require all their subscribers to provide valid National Identification Number (NIN) to update SIM registration records.

“The submission of NIN by subscribers to take place within two weeks (from today, December 16, 2020, and end by December 30, 2020).

“After the deadline, all SIMs without NINs are to be blocked from the networks.

“A Ministerial Task Force, comprising the minister and all the CEOs (among others) as members, is to monitor compliance by all networks.

“Violations of this direc­tive will be met by stiff sanc­tions, including the possibili­ty of withdrawal of operating licence.”

Adinde, therefore, urged the general public to ensure that their NINs were captured in their SIM registration data.

“All inconveniences which might be occasioned by this directive are deeply regret­ted,” he said.

Read also:


Covid-19: FG Hints At Second Wave As Nigeria Records Uptick In Cases

FG To Engage U.S. On Removing Nigeria From Religious Freedom Blacklist

FG Announces Date For Commencement Of Autogas Scheme In Nigeria

Insecurity in North: Northern Elders laud Sultan’s Stand, Urge FG to Address Worsening Situation

Ad

X whatsapp