Immigration Officer’s Bizarre Death! Blame Nigeria Police Not Chinese Firm, Chinese Commerce Chamber Replies Tunji-Ojo 

Abiola Olawale
Writer

Ad

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

U.S. Crude Stocks Fall Another 2.4 Million Barrels

Crude oil inventories in the United States decreased by 2.4 million barrels during the week ending August 22, after falling 6 million barrels in the week prior, according to new data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) released on Wednesday. The build brings commercial stockpiles to 418.3 million barrels according to government data, which…

NASA Chief, Experts Hail SpaceX as its Starship nails key test flight after fiery failures

By Obinna Uballa SpaceX's major win on Tuesday as its big Starship rocket successfully completed a critical test flight, marking a turnaround after a string of explosive setbacks earlier in the year, has elicited reactions, reports said. Experts have reportedly hailed the move as groundbreaking. The more-than-400-foot rocket, central to SpaceX’s commercial ambitions and NASA’s…

Ad

By Kolawole Ojebisi

The China chamber of commerce has dismissed the allegation that a Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) officer was shot by a security operative attached to a Chinese firm on the orders of his employer.

The China chamber of commerce exonerated Chinese citizen or company of any involvement in the fatal incident and blamed the Nigeria Police for the tragic development.

This chamber made the clarification in a statement issued on Friday by the Director General of the Chinese Chamber in Nigeria, Cui Guangzhen.

“Our attention has been drawn to the reports that Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, the Minister of Interior condemned the shooting of an immigration officer allegedly on the orders of a Chinese company operating in Nigeria in a briefing on March 27,” the statement reads.

“The China General Chamber of Commerce attaches great importance to the reports and carried out an immediate investigation.

“Based upon the findings of police authority in Niger State, the incident mentioned by the Minister of Interior happened on the 21st of February, 2025 in Minna, Niger State.

“During a police action, the state police force was trying to effect an arrest of some local citizen who was suspected of stealing iron rods from a Chinese company.

“When encountering stiff resistance of the suspect, one of the police officers fired a shot and the bullet accidentally hit a passerby who was later identified to be an immigration officer.”

Guangzhen added that Chinese companies in Nigeria abide by the law and are committed to the economic and social development of the country.

Recall that an infuriated Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, on Thursday, said the incident happened in Niger state last month and described the shooting as an attack on Nigeria.

Tunji-Ojo vowed tough action against the Chinese firm allegedly responsible.

Ad

X whatsapp