Ignore Lists of Ministers In Circulation, Says Alake, Tinubu Will Name Cabinet In His Own Time

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

By Ayo Yusuf

Nigerians have been asked to disregard every list of ministers currently circulating in the country
as false.

The Special Adviser to the President on Special Duties, communications and strategy, Mr DeleAlake, warned that none of those lists should be taken seriously as the President has made no such appointments yet.

Although there have been reports that the first batch of ministers have been nominated and the list will be sent to the senate before the week runs out, Mr. Alake said any such list would be “mere fabrication” as President Tinubu is yet to appoint his ministers.

Speaking with State House correspondents on Thursday, Mr. Alake said it is the absolute prerogative of the president to choose his ministers and he would be making his list public when he is ready.

“About the ministerial list, the simple truth is that, you know, this is an executive presidency, we’re not running a parliamentary system,” he said.

Accordingly, said Mr. Alake, “the bucks stops on the president’s table and he decides when it is fit and proper for him to make his cabinet list public.

“So, we are not unaware of all the speculations, and innuendos and rumours, all kinds of things in the media. Now, I as a media man, I chuckled to myself that people just want to sell, so they just fabricate.

“I can tell you all of those things you’ve been reading in the media are mere fabrications. There is no iota of truth in all of those things.
When the president is good and ready, you will be the first to know about his intentions.”

Following the experience of Nigerians who continue to lament the way former President Muhammadu Buhari took six months to name his ministers Nigerians have been hoping that President Tinubu would waste no time in forming his cabinet.

On May 29 when he took his oath of office and immediately announced an end to fuel subsidy and the subsequent fiscal measures he has taken since then, including the removal of the Central Bank Governor, Godwin Emefiele, pundits have wagered that he would be announcing his list of ministers within his first weeks in office.

However, one week into his second month in office and no ministers, the people have began to worry, leading to all manner of speculations. According to the constitution, every state is entitled to one minister although the previous government of President Buhari had named 44 ministers with some states having at least two.

In the amended constitution the president and the governors have but two months to name their cabinets.

Ad

X whatsapp