Ibrahim Gambari, former Chief of Staff and ex- UN Chief Speaks on His Mandate As Leader of ECOWAS 120 Election Observers Mission to Senegal’s Presidential Election

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

Former Chief of Staff to immediate past president Muhammadu Buhari and a former United Nations(UN) Under-Secretary-General (political), Professor Ibrahim Gambari, has spoken up on his mandate as the leader of a 120-member Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Election Observation Mission (EOM) to monitor Senegal’s Presidential election.

Gambari, who had previously served as a permanent representative of Nigeria to the United Nations from 1990 to 1999, as well as Nigeria’s Minister of external affairs between 1984 -1985 said his appointment to lead a 120-delegation to Senegal is part of the commitment of ECOWAS to ensure a free and fair election in the country, amid military takeover that has plagued some African countries in recent times

The revered diplomat who addressed members of the press in Senegal upon his arrival in that country said his team has been saddled with the responsibilities of ensuring the March 24th presidential election conforms with best democratic practices.

He observed that the high-level team comprises experts in various fields, including constitutional and electoral laws, election operations, conflict management and prevention, political analysis, gender and inclusivity, and the media.

His words: “I want to thank His Excellency, the President of the Ecowas Commission (H.E. Dr. Omar Alieu Touray) for the opportunity to serve in this very critical and high-level position as Head of the Ecowas Election Observer Mission in Senegal for the Presidential election.

“Of course, my first word is to say that ECOWAS is ready, able, and willing to… accomplish the electoral process and to ensure that the best practices are accomplished and that the outcome that this region needs, this country needs is a free, fair and transparent election in a peaceful atmosphere.”

The New Diplomat reports that a total of 93 people had registered to run for the office of president before the Senegalese Constitutional Council. The list of candidates was, however, narrowed down as the body examined the sponsorship of would-be candidates until 10 January 2024 before moving on to scrutinize other relevant documents and documentation of potential contestants. Many candidates were rejected due to missing documents, insufficient sponsorship documentation or allegations of sponsors supporting more than one candidate. The list of those who indicated interest to contest include former prime ministers Aminata Toure and Cheikh Hadjibou Soumaré, as well as Macky Sall’s brother-in-law Adama Faye. This prompted Toure and 27 other candidates to collectively criticize the sponsorship control system.

On 20 January, the Senegalese Constitutional Council published the final list of candidates for the presidential election. It was made up of 20 candidates including Ba, former prime ministers Idrissa Seck and Mahammed Boun Abdallah Dionne, the former mayor of Dakar Khalifa Sall, and Bassirou Diomaye Faye, who is still in prison awaiting trial. Two women were also cleared to run, namely gynecologist Rose Wardini and entrepreneur Anta Babacar Ngom, the head of one of the country’s largest food manufacturers, Sedima.

On 28 January, Sonko released a video on social media formally recognizing Bassirou Diomaye Faye as his replacement in the election.

On 19 February, Rose Wardini renounced her candidacy following controversy over her dual Franco-Senegalese nationality.

Below is the full list of the 19 candidates jostling for the top seat in Senegal;

Pope Djibril Fall – 35 years old

Anta Babacar Ngom – 40 years old

Bassirou Diomaye Faye – 43 years old

Déthié Fall – 48 years old

Daouda Ndiaye – 50 years old

Cheikh Tidiane Dièye – 51 years old

Mame Boye Diao – 53 years old

Serigne Mboup – 57 years old

Aly Ngouille Ndiaye – 59 years old

Thierno Alassane Sall – 60 years old

Malick Gackou – 62 years old

Amadou Ba – 62 years old

Aliou Mamadou Dia – 64 years old

Mamadou Lamine Diallo – 64 years old

Idrissa Seck – 64 years old

Mahammed Boun Abdallah Dionne – 65 years old

Boubacar Camara – 65 years old

Habib Sy – 67 years old

Khalifa Ababacar Sall – 68

Ad

X whatsapp