How #EndSARS Led To Persistence Prison Break In Nigeria — FG

The New Diplomat
Writer
837 Inmates Escaped In Oyo Prison Break--- Official

Ad

U.S. Oil Output Beats Weekly Estimates in June

U.S. crude oil production hit a new record in June at 13.58 million barrels per day, according to the Energy Information Administration’s latest Petroleum Supply Monthly. That’s 133,000 barrels more than May and 2.5 percent higher than a year ago. The new monthly figures also show a sharp disconnect from the EIA’s weekly estimates. For…

Zelenskyy fumes as ex-Ukrainian parliament speaker is shot dead

By Obinna Uballa Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has condemned the killing of former parliament speaker Andriy Parubiy as a “horrendous murder,” vowing that every resource will be deployed to track down the attacker. “All necessary forces and means are engaged in the investigation and search for the killer,” Zelenskyy said in a statement on social…

Rivers Crisis: Fubara will return as governor after September 18, Wike declares

• Hails LG election as peaceful By Obinna Uballa Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has assured that Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, and the State House of Assembly will resume their constitutional duties once the emergency rule in the state expires on September 18. Wike, who spoke to journalists on Saturday…

Ad

The Federal government of Nigeria has said the nationwide #EndSARS protests which held in October, last year led to the recent surge in prison attacks across the country.

The Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, while reacting to the latest attack on the Abolongo Custodial Centre of the Nigeria Correctional Service, Oyo State, on Friday night, said attacks on public facilities have worsened since the #EndSARS protests.

The New Diplomat recalls that Nigeria has witnessed five major prison breaks since October, 2020. The Benin and Oko custodial centres in Edo State; the Owerri Custodial Centre in Imo State; the medium Security Custodial Centre (MSCC) in Kabba, Kogi State; as well as the Abolongo Custodial Centre have all been subjected to attacks with several inmates freed.

Aregbesola, who spoke during an inspection visit to the facility on Sunday morning, said the attacks are coordinated and are aimed at ridiculing the government of Nigeria.

The minister, however vowed that the government will take all necessary legal steps to ensure all the bad elements face the wrath of the law.

In his words: “External attacks on custodial facilities were a rarity hitherto. What was common, and for which our system had been well primed, was an internal breach. But beginning with the spontaneous #EndSARS protests of last year which dovetailed into massive riots, there have been consistent attacks on our facilities in Owerri, Benin, Kabba, and now Oyo.

“This is not just some random happenings. These are premeditated, planned and coordinated attacks meant to make Nigeria unsafe and ridicule the government.

“I’m assuring Nigerians that the Federal Government will pursue not just those who attacked our facility, but those who have escaped lawful custody.

“The attack was unconscionable, I commend officers of the Nigeria Correctional Service and other members of sister security agencies who provided perimeter security for our facility for fighting gallantly and holding the fort before the attackers were able to gain access to the awaiting trial section of the facility, however, those who escaped are already being pursued. Some have been rearrested, many more will still be captured.”

Ad

X whatsapp