How To Achieve 24-Hour Power Supply In Nigeria — Adelabu

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

By Kolawole Ojebisi

The Federal Government has revealed the roadmap for the actualization of uninterrupted 24-hour power supply across the country in the next five to ten years.

The government noted that it would cost $10bn to ensure a consistent and reliable power supply for Nigerians.

It expressed the readiness to collaborate with the private sector to raise a portion of the required $10bn for the project.

This initiative to address the nation’s chronic power supply challenges was the focus of discussions when the Director-General of the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission, Dr. Jobson Oseodion Ewalefoh, paid a courtesy visit to the Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, in Abuja.

A statement by the Acting Head of Media and Publicity, Ifeanyi Nwoko, on Wednesday, revealed the outcome of the discussion.

According to the statement the two officials agreed that given the funding and technical requirements necessary to advance Nigeria’s power sector, it had become imperative to seek private sector involvement through Public-Private Partnerships for co-financing and expertise.

It noted that the collaboration will ensure optimal performance of power infrastructure.

During the meeting, the minister revealed that Nigeria requires at least $10bn over the next ten years to achieve a 24-hour power supply across the country.

He said, “To achieve a 24-hour power supply across Nigeria within the next five to ten years, a minimum funding of $10bn is required. The government cannot shoulder this alone given the pressing financial needs of other critical sectors.

“Can the government do it alone? No! This is why we need to marshal private sector funds while still retaining government interest and ownership. This is where ICRC comes in. We need to collaborate with the private sector, and the best way to do this is through concessions.”

Reacting to the minister’s statement, the Director-General said that through its regulatory processes, the ICRC could facilitate private sector investment in part of the $10bn required to improve the power sector, attract more foreign direct investment into other sectors, and ultimately stimulate economic growth.

The ICRC DG acknowledged that while funding is crucial, the challenges facing the power sector are complex and extend beyond finances.
However, with inter-agency collaboration and private-sector involvement, these limitations can be addressed.

He said, “Revamping the power sector requires planning, investment, and time. We need to collaborate to resolve the issues in this sector. The investment required is vast, and the government cannot fund it alone, so we must leverage the private sector’s financial capacity. That is why the ICRC was established—to regulate this leverage.”

The Commission is committed to regulating the processes of attracting investment into the power sector.

He commended the minister for his extensive knowledge of the sector and stated that President Bola Tinubu’s choice of him was commendable.

Ewalefoh said that to accelerate PPP investment as directed by President Tinubu, the Commission had issued a six-point policy direction, which has streamlined the PPP process for service delivery.

The DG stressed that although the processes have been streamlined to accelerate project delivery and encourage investors to adopt PPP models, the Commission remains vigilant in its regulatory function to prevent contingent liabilities or unnecessary delays by companies lacking the necessary capacity.

Ewalefoh also noted that the Commission now insists on incorporating conditions precedent into all PPP agreements, stipulating that any preferred bidder who defaults on the terms of the agreement will have their contract automatically nullified.

Recall that last week, the power minister ordered the immediate replacement of ageing equipment as part of recommendations to prevent the frequent collapse of the national grid.

He added that additional funding would be required from the 2024 Supplementary Budget and the 2025 Appropriation Bill to resolve the financial implications of strategies needed to curb the ongoing grid collapse.

Ad

X whatsapp