HIV/AIDS: US Provides $6bn Dollars To Nigeria Since 2003, Says Consul

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer
HIVAIDS US Provides $6bn Dollars To Nigeria Since 2003, Says Consul

Ad

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

U.S. Crude Stocks Fall Another 2.4 Million Barrels

Crude oil inventories in the United States decreased by 2.4 million barrels during the week ending August 22, after falling 6 million barrels in the week prior, according to new data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) released on Wednesday. The build brings commercial stockpiles to 418.3 million barrels according to government data, which…

NASA Chief, Experts Hail SpaceX as its Starship nails key test flight after fiery failures

By Obinna Uballa SpaceX's major win on Tuesday as its big Starship rocket successfully completed a critical test flight, marking a turnaround after a string of explosive setbacks earlier in the year, has elicited reactions, reports said. Experts have reportedly hailed the move as groundbreaking. The more-than-400-foot rocket, central to SpaceX’s commercial ambitions and NASA’s…

Ad

The U.S Consul-General in Nigeria, Claire Pierangelo, on Tuesday, announced that the US government had provided over $6 billion since 2003, as assistance for the prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS in the country.

Pierangelo revealed this when she led a delegation on a courtesy visit to Gov Seyi Makinde of Oyo state, at the Government House, Agodi, Ibadan.

She stated that 1.2 million Nigerians were currently under HIV/AIDS treatment for life, explaining that the delegation was in Ibadan for the launch of the HIV/AIDS Treatment Surge programme, that would be held on Wednesday.

The Consul General, who said the launch of the programme in Oyo state, would create additional opportunity for many people to be put under treatment, added that the programme had already been launched in seven states of the federation.

“Additionally, we are looking for other ways of cooperation; whether in training or cooperation on child immunisation.” She said.

In her response, the Secretary to the State Government, Mrs Olubamiwo Adeosun, who received the delegation, on behalf of Gov Makinde, thanked the Consul-General and her team for the visit.

Adeosun said the state government team had held useful discussions with the delegation on areas of cooperation between the Oyo state government and the consulate.
.
“With those discussions, we know that they will be keying very much into the pillars of this government; especially in training, which has to do with education.

“As well as the whole HIV surge programme and other public health programmes we will be doing, which tie directly to our health policy”, she stated.

Adeosun promised that actions would follow immediately, after the launch of the programme in the state on Wednesday.

According to her, there will be more awareness within the society, on people coming forward to be identified for free HIV treatment and reducing the stigma.

“And people will understand that with the right system and processes, we can have HIV in control.” the SSG stated.

Ad

X whatsapp