Guinea referendum raises fears of junta’s bid to cling to power

Abiola Olawale
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Obinna Uballa

Guineans troop to the polls on Sunday in a long-awaited referendum on a new constitution that could clear the way for coup leader Mamady Doumbouya to run for president, marking a critical step in the country’s transition from military to civilian rule.

The 6.7 million eligible voters are deciding whether to adopt a charter that would extend the presidential term from five to seven years, renewable once, and establish a Senate, one-third of whose members would be appointed by the president, Aljazeera reported.

In the capital, Conakry, voters queued early at polling stations under heavy security. The government said more than 40,000 personnel had been deployed nationwide to safeguard the process.

Supporters hail the draft constitution as progressive, but critics argue it could legitimise military rule and allow junta members to contest elections despite a transitional charter barring them from doing so. “Opponents fear this referendum will open the door for the current military rulers to participate in the [next] election,” Al Jazeera’s Ahmed Idris reported from Conakry.

Doumbouya’s government seized power four years ago, ousting former President Alpha Conde, and had initially promised to return the country to civilian rule by December 2024. That deadline was missed, deepening concerns about a power grab.

A presidential election is now scheduled for December, but Doumbouya has not declared his intentions. Meanwhile, leading opposition figures, including Cellou Dalein Diallo and deposed former president Conde, have urged a boycott of Sunday’s vote.

Both men’s parties remain suspended, while rights groups accuse the junta of abducting political opponents, allegations it denies.

Results of the referendum are expected within two to three days.

Ad

X whatsapp