Ganduje Bares His Mind On Why Sanusi Was Dethroned As Kano Emir

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje on Tuesday bared his mind on the dethronement of former Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Lamido Sanusi by his administration.

Ganduje said Sanusi who was dethroned earlier in the year was appointed to spite former President Goodluck Jonathan who sacked him as the governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), noting he took the decision to sack Sanusi to preserve the sanctity of the traditional institution.

Sanusi became Kano Emir in 2014, months after Jonathan had in April 2014 sacked him as governor of CBN over claims by the ex-CBN governor that $49 billion was stolen by some persons under the Jonathan administration.

At the presentation of a book on former President Goodluck Jonathan, authored by a journalist, Bonaventure Philips Melah, in Abuja, the Governor spoke in support of Jonathan’s action in sacking Sanusi as CBN Governor.

Though many Nigerians had hailed Sanusi for speaking up at the time, Ganduje faulted the former Emir over the public outburst that emanated from claims and counterclaims on the missing fund.

Ganduje said: “You could have given him this clue and then he would know how to investigate even before those who had stolen the money would find a way of hiding the money. That statement, I said in my mind was not honourable. That statement created bad blood.”

“Sanusi was appointed Emir of Kano not because he was the best man for the throne but to retaliate what Jonathan did to him.

“That was in order to prove that what Jonathan did to him was wrong and that the people of Kano wanted their son as Emir and therefore they decided to appoint him as Emir,” he said.

“When I became governor, I said yes, the Jonathan medicine is an important medicine. That medicine, even though I am not a medical doctor, but that medicine would serve the same purpose, for the same disease and for the same patient.

“So I took my Jonathan medicine and decided to save the system, to save the institution and I applied it effectively. So Jonathan and I are on the same page. Actually, I have no regrets,” he said.

Ad

X whatsapp