Fuel Subsidy: Concerns Mount As Tinubu Moves Again to Remove Electricity Subsidy

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

By Isaac Akerele

Amid the pains of Fuel Subsidy removal on Nigerians, President Bola Tinubu has disclosed his administration’s plans to halt subsidy on electricity.

This was revealed by Minister of Power, Mr Adebayo Adebayo at a press conference in Abuja, Wednesday, February 14

Mr Adelabu told journalists that Nigeria cannot afford to keep subsidizing electricity as the Country is already currently indebted to the tune of 1.3 trillion naira to generating companies (GenCos) and a 1.3 billion dollar debt owed to has companies

According to him, the budget for electricity this year which stands at 450 billion naira is not enough as the ministry currently needs over 2 trillion naira to keep up with subsidy

As a result, going forward, State governments will be allowed to generate power independently to supply power to their states.

He recalled that the reason the power grid collapsed no less than six times between December 2023 and February was due to gas shortage, old machines in the grid value chain, low capacity to evacuate generated power, and a few power stations in parts of the North-East geopolitical zones of Nigeria, that have been destroyed

He also revealed further that the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) currently has over 100 abandoned projects stemming from contract figure variations due to foreign exchange fluctuations. As a result, TCN will not award new contracts until existing projects are completed.

Over 50 billion naira was allocated in the 2024 budget to construct mini-grids providing electricity to remote regions lacking grid access.

The Minister also said he contacted the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu seeking security assistance to safeguard critical power infrastructure from attacks.

Recall that President Bola Tinubu at his inauguration, May, 2023 had announced that the Federal Government will no longer provide fuel subsidy as there was no provisions made for it in the 2023 budget. The announcement led to panic in the country and a resulting spike in the price of fuel

Following Tinubu’s proposed move to end subsidy for electricity, due to inadequate budgeting, many analysts believe that Nigerians now face yet tougher times ahead.

Ad

X whatsapp