Former CBN Governor, Emefiele, Faces 20 Count Charge as EFCC Opens Fraud Case

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Isaac Akerele

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) opened its fraud case against suspended Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor Godwin Emefiele on Monday. The case is being heard at the Federal Capital Territory High Court, Abuja.

Emefiele has been charged with 20 counts of conspiracy, illegally conferring advantage, breach of trust, and other offenses. He denied all charges when first arraigned on Friday.

He was previously charged with 6 counts of fraud in November 2023. The charges were then amended by the EFCC leading to his re-arraignment on the new 20 charges. Emefiele again pleaded not guilty.

The first witness for the EFCC, Mr. Onyeka Ogbu, a CBN deputy director, while being questioned by the EFCC lawyer Mr. Rotimi Oyedepo, discussed a $6.2 million payment in Which he claims the Banking Services Department brought the payment to his attention on January 8, 2023. The payment was supposedly for international election observers.

Mr. Ogbu explained that his role was only to process payments, not approve them. After reviewing the documents and being satisfied, he passed on the payment request which was then paid out as requested.

He then requested for the case to be temporarily adjourned so he could retrieve more documents. However, Emefiele’s lawyer Matthew Burkaa rejected this request. Instead, Justice Hamza Muazu agreed to adjourn the full case until Tuesday to allow the prosecution time to gather documents and for the witness to be cross-examined.

Among other charges, the EFCC has accused Emefiele of forging a document claiming international election observers required $6.2 million. This letter, according to it was supposedly from the Secretary to the Government of the Federation but was fake.

Emefiele has also been accused of cronyism, awarding juicy contracts to a company where he has significant ownership stake and control.

The charges involve conspiracy, illegally conferring advantage, breach of trust, forgery, and violating public procurement laws.

Emefiele was first charged by the EFCC alongside Mrs Sa’adatu Yaro and a company, April 1616 Investment in August 2023, regarding a breach of the procurement Act in the purchase of vehicles.

The charges against him have now widened substantially to 20 counts of fraud.

Ad

X whatsapp