Fayose Commiserates With Victims of Borno “Accidental” Air Strike, Calls for Probe

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer
new-diplomat default image
new-diplomat default image

Ad

U.S. Oil Output Beats Weekly Estimates in June

U.S. crude oil production hit a new record in June at 13.58 million barrels per day, according to the Energy Information Administration’s latest Petroleum Supply Monthly. That’s 133,000 barrels more than May and 2.5 percent higher than a year ago. The new monthly figures also show a sharp disconnect from the EIA’s weekly estimates. For…

Zelenskyy fumes as ex-Ukrainian parliament speaker is shot dead

By Obinna Uballa Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has condemned the killing of former parliament speaker Andriy Parubiy as a “horrendous murder,” vowing that every resource will be deployed to track down the attacker. “All necessary forces and means are engaged in the investigation and search for the killer,” Zelenskyy said in a statement on social…

Rivers Crisis: Fubara will return as governor after September 18, Wike declares

• Hails LG election as peaceful By Obinna Uballa Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has assured that Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, and the State House of Assembly will resume their constitutional duties once the emergency rule in the state expires on September 18. Wike, who spoke to journalists on Saturday…

Ad

Ekiti State Governor, Mr Ayodele Fayose has commiserated with families of the victims of yesterday’s “accidental” air strike by men of the Nigerian Air Force of ‘Operation Lafiya Dole’ in the Rann Internally Displaced People (IDP) camp in Borno State while describing as strange that the military could “mistakenly” bomb an IDP camp that it created and aware of the location.

He thereby called for thorough investigation by both the military authority and the international community to ascertain what actually happened.

In a release issued on Wednesday by the Special Assistant to the governor on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, Governor Fayose maintained that “it is obvious that the Federal Government is still deceiving Nigerians on its handling of the Boko Haram insurgency because it is strange that the same Boko Haram that they said had been defeated were the ones they claimed the military wanted to attack with fighter jet.”

“I sympathise with those hapless Nigerians who escaped death from the hands of Boko Haram insurgents only to be killed by the same authority that should be protecting them. May Allah (SWT) forgive their sins and grant them Al Jannah Fidau.

“It is also my prayers that the Almighty Allah (SWT) will console their families and grant them the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss. “I also call on all necessary authorities in Nigeria as well as the international community to investigate the incident with a view to unraveling whether or not the air strike was a mistake. And if it was indeed a mistake, what led to it must be unravelled,” the governor said.

While maintaining that Nigerians were not being told the truth about the Boko Haram insurgency, Governor Fayose said; “In as much as they are making efforts, which must be commended, the federal government must stop deceiving Nigerians. “First, they said they have defeated Boko Haram technically. Later they claimed Boko Haram flag was captured and went on to display the ‘captured flag’ at the Presidency. But look at what we are witnessing now. Look at bombings and attacks here and there by the same Boko Haram they told us had been defeated.

Ad

X whatsapp