Excitement As Tinubu Rejects NPC’s N942bn Census Budget, Dashes Kwarra’s Hopes

Abiola Olawale
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Departs Brazil for Nigeria After State Visit

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has concluded a three-day state visit to Brazil, departing the country for Abuja on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. The New Diplomat reports that the presidential jet took off from Brasília International Airport Air Force Base, with a ceremonial send-off attended by Brazil’s Secretary for Africa and the Middle…

President’s son jailed 6 years in fraud case as power tussle soars in Equatorial Guinea

• Two brothers at war over who succeeds Nguema Mbasogo By Obinna Uballa An Equatorial Guinea court has sentenced Ruslan Obiang Nsue, son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, to six years in prison for illegally selling a plane belonging to the state airline, Ceiba Intercontinental, a case analysts say reflects growing rivalry within the…

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

Ad

Orders NPC to Use NYSC Members as Cost-Saving

By Abiola Olawale 

In a move said to be aimed at fiscal prudence, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has rejected the proposed N942 billion budget for Nigeria’s long-overdue national census, triggering excitement as many believe it will save the nation unnecessary financial wastage. This may have dashed the hopes of contractors who have reportedly lined up to catch in on the NPC’s staggering budget estimates. The NPC is being chaired by Alhaji Nasir Kwarra, who allegedly led a bogus team, seen as waste of public resources, to the UN in New York last year.

The action was seen as a clear breach of directive “because those on Kwarra’s led delegation were not on the approved list forwarded to the Nigerian Permanent Mission in New York by the appropriate authorities in Abuja”.

Recall that President Tinubu had maintained that only approved government officials would be eligible to attend UNGA last year.

This is as the President deemed the budget excessive. The decision was said to have come during a meeting with officials of the National Population Commission (NPC) at the State House in Abuja.

Instead, the President proposed an approach of deploying members of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) to conduct the census.

An insider source who spoke with the press said that the President believes that the strategy will significantly cut costs while engaging the nation’s youth in a critical national exercise.

According to the source, Tinubu expressed concerns over the financial burden it would place on the government amid ongoing economic challenges.

“We cannot keep throwing money at problems without innovation,” a source close to the Presidency quoted him as saying.

Recently, the National Population Commission (NPC( outlined plans for a tech-driven census, including the use of 760,000 digital tablets currently stored with the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Nigeria’s last census, conducted in 2006, recorded a population of 140 million. Since then, the country has relied on estimates—currently pegged at over 200 million—leading to concerns about data accuracy for resource allocation and development planning.

Previous attempts to hold a census, including one scheduled for 2023 under former President Muhammadu Buhari, were postponed due to funding issues, insecurity, and logistical challenges.

Ad

X whatsapp