#EndSARS: UK Parliament Approves Sanctions On Nigerian Officials Implicated In Lekki Shootings

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Departs Brazil for Nigeria After State Visit

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has concluded a three-day state visit to Brazil, departing the country for Abuja on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. The New Diplomat reports that the presidential jet took off from Brasília International Airport Air Force Base, with a ceremonial send-off attended by Brazil’s Secretary for Africa and the Middle…

President’s son jailed 6 years in fraud case as power tussle soars in Equatorial Guinea

• Two brothers at war over who succeeds Nguema Mbasogo By Obinna Uballa An Equatorial Guinea court has sentenced Ruslan Obiang Nsue, son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, to six years in prison for illegally selling a plane belonging to the state airline, Ceiba Intercontinental, a case analysts say reflects growing rivalry within the…

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

Ad

The United Kingdom parliament on Monday voted to back the government’s consideration to impose sanctions on Nigerian officials involved in the alleged excessive use of force on peaceful protesters during last month’s #EndSARS protests.

Having condemned the action of the military during the demonstrations, the parliament begun a debate on the fallout of the #EndSARS protest that generated backlash from most parts of the world.

The non-binding vote was a result of a petition brought before the UK parliament, which was signed by more than 220,000 people.Sanctions On Nigerian Officials

Read also:

Lekki Shootings: More Details Emerge On Role Of Nigerian Army, Sanwo-Olu At Lagos Panel

Lekki Shootings: CCTV Reveals Soldiers Arrived In Seven Trucks

Lekki Shootings: CNN Contradicts Sanwo-Olu, Reports Soldiers Fired At Protesters

Lekki Shootings: Nigerian Army Capitulates, Reveals Names Of Officers Who Attacked Protesters

The Nigerian authorities have continued to deny that security forces opened fire on peaceful protesters.

According to a BBC report, the UK MPs said sanctions against Nigeria could hurt the population.

So they called for an independent investigation into abuses and urged the British government to target Nigerian officials who are implicated in the shooting dead of peaceful demonstrators during last month’s protests against police brutality.

The MPs repeatedly mentioned the alleged use of force by the military on protesters at the Lekki tollgate in Lagos during the #EndSARS protest.

They also condemned the freezing of protest organisers’ bank accounts and stressed that the right to peaceful protest was a key component of democracy.

Some of the MPs questioned the UK’s role in the training of Nigerian security forces and weapons sales to the country.

An MP, who was speaking on behalf of the British Minister for Africa, welcomed Nigeria’s decision to investigate alleged rights violations and the disbandment of a notorious police unit – the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.

But without committing to the idea of imposing sanctions, the MP said Britain would continue to press the Nigerian Government to respect human rights.

Read also:

Lekki Shootings: Our Workers, Supporters Have Received Threats Of Attacks, Says Amnesty Int’l

I Didn’t Go Anywhere, I’m Jagaban, Tinubu Speaks On Lekki Shootings

Lekki Shootings: US Congressional Black Caucus Writes Buhari [Letter]

Breaking! Lekki Shootings: NBC Slams Fines On AIT, Channels, Arise Over Broadcast

Lekki Shootings: More Details As LCC Claims CCTV Stopped Working After 8pm

Ad

X whatsapp