Emefiele asks court to dismiss fraud case as prosecution fails to appear

Abiola Olawale
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

By Obinna Uballa

Former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Godwin Emefiele, on Tuesday urged an Abuja High Court to foreclose the prosecution in his ongoing trial over alleged procurement fraud.

Emefiele is facing trial before Justice Hamza Muazu on a 20-count amended charge filed by the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation, marked CR/577/2023. The federal government accuses him of criminal breach of trust, conferring corrupt advantage, forgery, conspiracy, and obtaining money by false pretences during his tenure as CBN governor.

Among the allegations, prosecutors claim Emefiele used his position to award contracts worth N1.2 billion to April 1616, a company linked to a CBN staff member, Sa’adatu Ramalan Yaro, between 2018 and 2022. He has pleaded not guilty.

At Tuesday’s sitting, Emefiele’s counsel, Mathew Burkaa (SAN), asked the court to dismiss the case, citing the absence of prosecuting counsel Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN) and any representative from the prosecution team.

Burkaa noted that although he was informed through the registrar that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had written to seek an adjournment, the case was instituted by the Attorney-General’s office—not the EFCC. He argued that Emefiele and his lawyers travelled from Lagos for the hearing and that the prosecution had previously requested an accelerated trial.

In his ruling, Justice Muazu gave the prosecution “one last opportunity” to appear, warning that the court would take necessary steps if they failed to show up on the next date. The matter was adjourned until October 22 for continuation of hearing.

Ad

X whatsapp