Police: Eight-year-old Smuggled To Spain In Suitcase

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Kano Govt Demands Immediate Arrest of Ex-Governor Ganduje Over Security Comments

By Abiola Olawale The Kano State Executive Council has called for the immediate investigation and arrest of the former Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, following what it describes as "inciting and reckless" public comments concerning the state's security situation. The demand, raised after a State Executive Council meeting on Thursday, accused the former governor of…

(VIDEO) Obasanjo backs foreign intervention as insecurity worsens, slams FG’s approach

By Obinna Uballa Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has called on the Federal Government to halt all negotiations with terrorists and seek international assistance to tackle Nigeria’s worsening insecurity. Obasanjo issued the warning on Friday while speaking at the Plateau State Unity Christmas Carol and Praise Festival in Jos, amid a wave of killings and mass…

Ad

Police found an eight-year-old Ivorian boy hidden in a suitcase that was smuggled across the border into  Spanish territory in north Africa, an official said on Friday.

 “When they put the suitcase through the scanner, the operator noticed something strange, which seemed  to be a person inside the case,” he told AFP.A 19-year-old woman took the case through a pedestrian  crossing from Morocco into the small Spanish-governed territory of Ceuta on Thursday, a spokesman for  the Civil Guard police force said.

“When it was opened they found a minor, in a terrible state.”Police Eight-year-old Smuggled, spanish territory, suitcase, border

Read also: China’s Retaliation: Tight Security Outside U.S. Chengdu Consulate

The boy said he was eight years old and from Ivory Coast, according to the spokesman.

The Civil Guard arrested the woman, who was due to go before a judge.

They also arrested the boy’s father when he tried to cross the border a few hours later. The father is Ivorian and lives in Spain’s Canary Islands.

Thousands of migrants each year risk their lives trying to enter Ceuta and another Spanish territory bordering Morocco, Melilla, in search of a better life in Europe.

Many Africans try to scramble over the seven-metre (23-foot) fences that separate the Spanish cities from Morocco.

Others smuggle themselves over the border hidden in vehicles and cargoes or try to swim or sail from shores on the Moroccan side.

Read also: Police Rearrests Ibadan Suspected Serial Killer

Earlier this week a 23-year-old Moroccan was found in a shipping container in the port of Melilla.

He was dehydrated after four days cooped up without food or water, since the container was left unattended over the May holiday weekend.

Ad

X whatsapp