WHO: Ebola Virus Found In Semen Six Months After Recovery

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Nsukka Catholic Diocese Grieves Loss of Bishop Emeritus Francis Okobo at 89

By Abiola Olawale The Catholic community in Nsukka, Enugu State has been engulfed by tears following the passing of Most Rev. Dr. Francis Emmanuel Ogbonna Okobo, Bishop Emeritus of the Nsukka Catholic Diocese. It was gathered that Okobo passed away on Friday, August 29, 2025, at the age of 89. The revered cleric, who served…

Anticipation as Tottenham Accelerates Transfer Chase for Atalanta’s Ademola Lookman

By Abiola Olawale English football club, Tottenham Hotspur is reportedly intensifying negotiations to sign Atalanta’s star forward Ademola Lookman as the summer transfer window approaches its September 1 deadline. It was gathered that Lookman, a 27-year-old Nigerian international, has reportedly caught the eye of Tottenham. Lookman is also reportedly eager to return to the Premier…

Oil Prices Aren’t Likely To Rise Anytime Soon

Analysts surveyed by Reuters expect Brent Crude to average $67.65 per barrel and WTI Crude to average $64.65 per barrel this year, with slight adjustments from previous forecasts. Factors contributing to the subdued oil price outlook include rising supply from OPEC+ and non-OPEC+ producers, slowing demand growth post-summer, and uncertainties from U.S. trade policies. Major…

Ad

Traces of Ebola Virus have been found in the semen of a man six months after his recovery, the World Health  Organization said Wednesday, urging survivors to practice safe sex “until further notice”.

The man had been declared free of the deadly virus in Liberia last September, WHO spokesman Tarik  Jasarevic told AFP.

Read also:


Amid Exit Speculations, Messi Snubs Coronavirus Testing At Barcelona

C.Ronaldo Tests Positive For Coronavirus

“He has provided a semen sample which has tested… positive for Ebola, 175 days after his negative blood  test,” he said in an email.Virus Found In Semen

The UN health agency had previously said the virus had been detected in semen around three months after a patient had been declared Ebola free.

The new finding has led WHO to recommend that survivors abstain from having sex or that they practice safe sex using a condom beyond the three-month period previously prescribed.

“Ebola survivors should consider correct and consistent use of condoms for all sexual acts beyond three months until more information is available,” it says on its website.

Jasarevic said more research was needed before WHO could provide more detailed advice.

“We need to understand better if this particular case is an anomaly or if there really are groups of people who might (carry) parts of the Ebola virus longer,” he said.

Until more is known, Ebola survivors should abstain from sex or practice safe sex “until further notice,” Bruce Aylward, who heads WHO’s Ebola response, told reporters last week.

He said a number of studies were already under way, as well as discussions about whether Ebola survivors should be systematically screened after three months to determine their status.

Read also:


Coronavirus: The World Has Been Deceived, Oyedepo Backs Dr. Immanuel

If Coronavirus Is Really Airborne, We Might Be Fighting It The Wrong Way

Ballon d’Or Cancelled For 2020 Due To Coronavirus

COVID 19 2.0: WHO Warns Nigeria, South Africa Against Easing Coronavirus Restrictions

Ad

X whatsapp