Djokovic Faces Deportation As Australia Cancels Star’s Visa

Oyinlola Awonuga
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Nominates Mahmud Yakubu, Fani-Kayode, Omokri, Others as Ambassadors

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has forwarded a fresh list of 32 ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for screening and confirmation. The list features a mix of seasoned career diplomats and high-profile non-career appointees, including several notable political figures whose nominations have instantly generated significant public discourse. ​This second batch of nominations comes…

Why Guinea-Bissau Coup is More Painful Than 2015 Election Loss– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has described the recent military coup in Guinea-Bissau, which halted a nearly completed electoral process, as a deeper personal blow than his own 2015 presidential election defeat. ​In a statement following his evacuation from the West African nation where he was serving as an election observer, Jonathan…

Kano Govt Demands Immediate Arrest of Ex-Governor Ganduje Over Security Comments

By Abiola Olawale The Kano State Executive Council has called for the immediate investigation and arrest of the former Governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, following what it describes as "inciting and reckless" public comments concerning the state's security situation. The demand, raised after a State Executive Council meeting on Thursday, accused the former governor of…

Ad

World Tennis star, Novak Djokovic has been faced with possible deportation from Australia after the country’s immigration minister canceled the unvaccinated tennis star’s visa for a second time on Friday, citing public health.

The decision is the latest twist in a saga that has drawn global headlines and become a flashpoint in the debate over Covid-19 vaccination mandates. It could end the Serb’s bid for a record 21st major title at the Australian Open tournament, which starts Monday.

Djokovic’s lawyers moved swiftly to apply for an injunction that would prevent him from being forced to leave the country. They said he had not been taken into immigration detention.

In a court hearing that began at around 8:30 p.m. local time (4:30 a.m. ET) Friday and was watched on YouTube by nearly 60,000 people, Judge Anthony Kelly said the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia would work to resolve the case as quickly as possible.

In a decision likely to have broad sporting and diplomatic consequences, Immigration Minister Alex Hawke said in a statement early Friday that he had used his discretionary powers to cancel the visa again “on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so.”

The government is “firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic,” Hawke added.

Djokovic, 34, had his visa reinstated earlier this week by Kelly, who ordered that he be released after days in immigration detention.

The men’s tennis No. 1 saw the visa first revoked last week after his claim of a medical exemption was rejected by border officials when he arrived in Melbourne. But Djokovic won a legal appeal that allowed him to stay in the country and practice even as the threat of deportation hung over his head.

If Djokovic’s bid to remain in Australia after this second cancelation fails, he may be unable to reapply for a visa for three years.

Newsmen has reached out to Djokovic’s representatives for comment.

Djokovic admitted Wednesday that his travel form to get into Australia included a false statement and that he had failed to immediately isolate after testing positive for the coronavirus in Serbia last month, adding to the scrutiny from Australian officials and the world’s media.

The country’s strict border rules require that all non-Australian arrivals must be vaccinated to enter the country. All Australian Open players, staff, officials and fans also need to be fully vaccinated to enter the tournament venue.

Ad

X whatsapp