Delta Carnage: Army Disassociates Self From Reprisal Attack

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Tinubu Departs Brazil for Nigeria After State Visit

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has concluded a three-day state visit to Brazil, departing the country for Abuja on Wednesday, August 27, 2025. The New Diplomat reports that the presidential jet took off from Brasília International Airport Air Force Base, with a ceremonial send-off attended by Brazil’s Secretary for Africa and the Middle…

President’s son jailed 6 years in fraud case as power tussle soars in Equatorial Guinea

• Two brothers at war over who succeeds Nguema Mbasogo By Obinna Uballa An Equatorial Guinea court has sentenced Ruslan Obiang Nsue, son of President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, to six years in prison for illegally selling a plane belonging to the state airline, Ceiba Intercontinental, a case analysts say reflects growing rivalry within the…

Details: Why Roosevelt Ogbonna Quit Access HoldCo board

• He remains Bank MD, Says Access By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has explained that Mr. Roosevelt Ogbonna, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank Plc, resigned from the Board of the HoldCo to comply with regulatory guidelines issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The company, in a statement signed…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

The Nigerian military has denied reports suggesting that it is carrying out a reprisal against the Okuoma community in Ughelli South Local Government Area of Delta State where 15 of its personnel were killed by hoodlums.

Following the death of a Lieutenant Colonel, two Majors, one Captain, and 12 soldiers by local youths last week reports have emerged that some unknown arsonists invaded the coastal Community of Okuama in Delta State and set it ablaze in what many strongly alleged was a reprisal attack from the Nigerian Army over the killing of their personnel by irate youths in the area.

As images and videos of the incident trended on various social media platforms, many Nigerians have condemned the action, saying innocent residents would suffer.

However, reacting to the reports, General Christopher Musa, the Defence chief, in a response sent to Reuters denied that the military had initiated an attack on the community.

He said; “No reprisals by the army. We are searching for the murderers and their weapon cache.”

Ad

X whatsapp