Death Toll In South Africa Unrest Rises To 276

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

AFP — The recent unrest in South Africa has claimed 276 lives, the government said on Wednesday, raising the death toll from 215 announced earlier this week.

“Since the unrest, a total of 234 deaths as related to the unrest were reported in KwaZulu-Natal to date,” a minister in the president’s office, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni, said in a statement, adding that another 42 deaths were recorded in Gauteng province which includes Johannesburg.

Police are investigating 168 of the deaths for murder. Some of the people died in stampedes or were crushed by falling objects, while others died in burning buildings.

The minister said “stability” had returned to the two provinces rocked by unprecedented violence in post-apartheid South Africa and that police were carrying out “mopping-up operations to ensure opportunistic and copycat activities do not find traction”.

Rioting broke out a day after ex-president Jacob Zuma started serving a 15-month jail term for ignoring a corruption inquiry.

It spread through Zuma’s KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng, South Africa’s most populous provinces accounting for half of the country’s GDP.

The violence has abated, and six people, including a DJ, have so far been arrested on charges of incitement to commit public violence.

Several thousand more are being held for looting.

Ad

X whatsapp