Dasuki’s ex-aide, Col. Nicholas Ashinze slams EFCC over his continued detention

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

Obi Slams ECOWAS Over Guinea-Bissau: Calls Out ‘Double Standard’ 

By Abiola Olawale Former Labour Party Presidential candidate Peter Obi has criticized the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), accusing the regional body of applying a glaring "double standard" in its response to the recent political turmoil in Guinea-Bissau. ​In a strong statement released on his X handle on Sunday, titled "Reflecting on the…

Presidency Slams Obasanjo, Says Terrorism Began During His Administration 

By Abiola Olawale The Presidency has criticised former President Olusegun Obasanjo, directly challenging his recent critiques on the nation's security crisis. In a statement issued on Sunday, the Presidency asserted that the foundation of terrorism and extremist violence in Nigeria was laid during Obasanjo's tenure, dismissing the narrative that the current administration inherited a peaceful,…

Atiku slams N17.5trn pipeline security bill, says figure rivals Nigeria’s 12-year subsidy bill

By Obinna Uballa Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has accused President Bola Tinubu’s administration of overseeing what he described as one of the most alarming financial scandals in Nigeria’s history, following revelations that the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) spent N17.5 trillion in one year on pipeline and energy security. In a statement issued…

Ad

Colonel Nicholas Ashinze, a former Special Assistant to ex-National Security Adviser (NSA) Col Sambo Dasuki (rtd), has sued the Economic and Financial Crimes (EFCC) and the Army over his continued incarceration.

Ashinze, in a fundamental rights enforcement suit filed by his lawyer, Mike Ozekhome (SAN), is challenging his detention for about 12 weeks without any charge preferred against him.

The suit filed before the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) also has the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai as respondent.

Ashinze is praying the court to order EFCC and the Army to release forthwith, his personal effects, documents and properties which were illegally, wrongfully and unlawfully seized from him without any warrant, during his arrest and continued detention since December 23, last year.

Alternatively, he urged the court to issue an order granting him bail on self recognisance or in the most liberal terms as well as an order directing the respondents to tender a public apology and pay him adequate compensation for the blatant violation of his fundamental rights without following due process.

Ashinze also wants the court to restrain the anti-graft agency and the Nigerian Army from further inviting, arresting or detaining him in their custody in relation to same frivolous allegations, which he knows nothing about.

Ad

X whatsapp