ICPC Investigates N1.34 Trillion Alleged Stolen Funds

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has begun the processes of investigation that would help the Federal Government trace and recover the N1.34 trillion allegedly stolen by corrupt government officials.

The move followed revelations by the Honourable Minister of Information, Lai Mohammad that 55 Nigerians allegedly stole over N1.34 trillion from public coffers between 2007 and 2015.

ICPC Chairman, Mr. Ekpo Nta, speaking during an appearance on Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) said that the missing money can be traced.

Mr. Nta said ICPC was analyzing intelligence reports so far gathered on the issue and would go into action at the conclusion of its analysis with a view to bringing the perpetrators to book.

He said, “Some of these revelations have put to fore the issues bedeviling the country and giving us bad names. What has now been put in the open, we have to sift it and that is what we have been doing.

‘That money must come from somewhere; if it was appropriated by the government through the National Assembly, it is going to be traced. If it comes from the bank, it makes life easier for everybody.”

The Chairman further spoke on new strategies being put in place by the Commission to stop the looting of public funds by corrupt civil servants and political office holders.

The ICPC boss who also spoke on the independence of ICPC stressed that he had never experienced any interference or received directives from government on any investigation.

He said, “From written reports of my predecessors, I can say that there has never been government interference. No government has ever directed me to go after anybody. The past government did not do that and the new government has not done that.”

Ad

X whatsapp