Covid-19 Bickerings: Trump Stops Funding WHO, Gives Reasons

'Dotun Akintomide
Writer

Ad

Way Forward: Experts, Policy Leaders Affirm Africa’s Energy Future rests on Technologies As Solewant Group ends 9th Summit

Policy makers, energy experts, the academia, diplomats, captains of industry, amongst other stakeholders in the oil and gas sector, have unanimously affirmed that for Africa’s energy development to be assured, there must be emphasis on and investment in the training, acquisition and application of emerging technologies to drive it. This was the generap consensus of…

Reno Omokri Appreciates Tinubu for ‘Christlike’ Ambassadorial Nomination

By Abiola Olawale Former presidential aide and prominent social commentator, Reno Omokri, has expressed gratitude to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu following his nomination as a non-career ambassador-designate. Omokri, known for his vocal opposition to the President before the nomination, described the gesture as "Christlike," emphasizing the theme of forgiveness and national unity. In a statement…

‘Embarrassing, Insensitive’: ADC Slams Tinubu’s Nomination of Former INEC Chair as Ambassador 

By Abiola Olawale ​The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has criticized President Bola Ahmed Tinubu's inclusion of the immediate past Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in his list of ambassadorial nominees, labeling the decision as both "embarrassing and insensitive." ​The nomination was part of a list of 32 additional ambassadorial nominees sent to…

Ad

U.S. President Donald Trump has stopped funding the World Health Organisation, blaming it for America’s coronavirus pandemic woes.

Trump announced the move on Tuesday at a Rose Garden press conference.

The U.S. leader had mulled the idea before and dubbed WHO China-centric.

“The reality is that the WHO failed to adequately obtain, vet and share information in a timely and transparent fashion,” Trump said.Covid-19

Read also: Global Coronavirus Cases Hit 2 million

“With the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have deep concerns whether America’s generosity has been put to the best use possible,” Trump added.

The U.S. is the largest contributor to WHO. It paid more than $400 million to the WHO in 2019.
China is the second largest contributor.

It paid $44 million, according to Reuters.

Trump last week accused WHO of not moving quickly enough to sound the alarm over COVID-19 and of being too China friendly.

He attacked the agency for advising the U.S. against banning travel from China to other parts of the world amid the outbreak.

“And the World – WHO – World Health got it wrong,” he said last week.

“I mean, they got it very wrong. In many ways, they were wrong. They also minimised the threat very strongly and – not good.”

Ad

X whatsapp