Court orders IPOB leader Kanu’s remand in prison

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

A Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the remand of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra and founder of Radio Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, in prison custody.
Justice James Tsoho made the order on Wednesday after Kanu, who has since October 14, 2015 been in the custody of the Department of State Service, was arraigned along with two others on charges of treason and others bordering on his agitation for the secession of the Republic of Biafra from Nigeria.
Kanu was arraigned along with two others – Benjamin Madubugwu and David Nwawuisi.
‎The judge in ordering the remand of the accused in prison overruled the request by the Director of Public Prosecutions, Mr. Mohammed Diri, for an order further remanding the accused persons in the custody of the DSS.
The ruling of the court ordering Kanu’s remand came as a relief to the defence team, led on Wednesday by Mr. Chuks Mouoma (SAN)‎, who had complained that the accused persons had been denied access to their families and lawyers since their arrest by the DSS on October 14, 2015.
‎Kanu has been in the custody of the Department of State Service since  October 14, 2015, the day he was arrested in a Lagos hotel, on the allegation that he was plotting the secession of Rpublic of Biafra from Nigeria.
The accused persons all pleaded not guilty to all the six counts preferred against them.

Ad

X whatsapp