Coup Plot: ‘We Have No Plan To Overthrow Tinubu’s Government’, Nigerian Military Speaks

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

Mapped: U.S. Tariff Rates by Country

Key Takeaways The Trump administration increased tariffs, citing trade deficits and national security concerns. Brazil and India received the highest tariff rate of 50%. Under the second Trump administration, new tariff levels have been applied to over 80 countries, with rates ranging from 10% to 50%. The U.S. President argues that persistent trade deficits and…

Thai Court Dismisses PM Over Compromising Phone Call with Cambodian Leader

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed Paetongtarn Shinawatra from her position as prime minister, ruling that as the country’s leader she violated constitutional rules on ethics in a phone call with Cambodia’s Senate President Hun Sen. The ruling means she immediately loses her job, which she had held for about a year. Paetongtarn was suspended…

Oil Prices Dip but Stay on Track to Extend Last Week’s Gains

Crude oil prices were set for another weekly rise after additional 25% tariffs on Indian exports to the United States kicked in on Wednesday, raising doubts about the supply of Russian crude. At the time of writing, Brent crude was trading at $68.17 per barrel, with West Texas Intermediate at $64.20 per barrel, both slightly down from Thursday’s close…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

Amidst fears of a reported coup plot by the Nigerian military, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), has refuted the claims as false and untrue, declaring that it is focused on sustaining the democracy that the country has been enjoying since 1999.

The military in a press statement issued on Monday by the Acting Director of Defence Information, Brigadier General Tukur Gusau, said it is not planning to overthrow the government of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

The military said this while reacting to a report published by Sahara Reporters on 25 February 2024. The report had claimed that the Guards Brigade had been placed on high alert, following unusual movements, leading to suspicion of a coup plot in the country.

Also, following the spate of military coups in six African countries between 2020 and now, there have been fears that the Nigeria Army could be awakened to forcefully take over power.

However, reacting to the rumour of a military coup d’etat, Gusau said the Guards Brigade has the statutory responsibility of protecting the Presidency and the Federal Capital Territory and has always been on high alert for the discharge of its duties.

He said while the leadership of the Armed Forces of Nigeria gives priority to the welfare of its personnel, it, however, “detest any attempt by any individual or group to instigate the law-abiding Armed Forces of Nigeria to embark on any unconstitutional change of government in our country.

He added that the Defence Headquarters will seek legal redress against the online medium for its unpatriotic act designed to cause disaffection and create unnecessary tension in the land.

The statement reads: “@DefenceInfoNG has been drawn to a malicious and unfounded article published online by SaharaReporters on 25 February 2024 claiming that the Guards Brigade has been put on high alert following unusual movements, leading to suspicion of a coup plot in Nigeria.

“The publication also asserted amongst other things that the suspicion prompted an emergency meeting involving President Bola Tinubu, the Chief of Staff to the President and Commander of the Guards Brigade.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to categorically state that the allegation is totally false. For the avoidance of doubt, the Guards Brigade has been statutorily assigned the responsibility of protecting the seat of power (The Presidency) and by extension the Federal Capital Territory and its environs.

“Hence, it is to be noted that the Guards Brigade has always been on high alert in order to effectively execute its assigned tasks.

“It will be recalled that the Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa OFR had in various fora reiterated the unalloyed commitment of members of the Armed Forces of Nigeria to the protection and sustenance of democracy in Nigeria.

“Therefore, the Defence Headquarters strongly condemn this unsubstantiated assertion which is just a figment of the imagination of the publisher and enjoins members of the public to disregard it.

“Furthermore, the Defence Headquarters calls on relevant security agencies to immediately take appropriate action against the Sahara Reporters for this unpatriotic action.

“Meanwhile, the Defence Headquarters will seek legal redress on the issue which has the ulterior motive of creating unnecessary tension in the country.”

Ad

X whatsapp