Concerns As Dele Farotimi Remains In Detention Despite Being Granted Bail

The New Diplomat
Writer

Ad

‘Embarrassing, Insensitive’: ADC Slams Tinubu’s Nomination of Former INEC Chair as Ambassador 

By Abiola Olawale ​The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has criticized President Bola Ahmed Tinubu's inclusion of the immediate past Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in his list of ambassadorial nominees, labeling the decision as both "embarrassing and insensitive." ​The nomination was part of a list of 32 additional ambassadorial nominees sent to…

(VIDEO) Bandits abduct pastor, worshippers in Kogi church attack, govt deploys helicopter, anti-kidnapping squad

By Obinna Uballa The Kogi State Government has launched a coordinated aerial and ground operation after armed bandits attacked a Cherubim and Seraphim church in Ejiba, Yagba West Local Government Area, on Sunday morning, November 30, 2025. Video footage posted by Egbe Emekun Parrot on Facebook and credited to Olusegun Iselaiye shows a state-deployed helicopter…

Manhunt underway for gunman who killed four, injured 10 at child’s birthday party in US

By Obinna Uballa A massive manhunt is underway in California, United States after a gunman opened fire at a child’s birthday party in Stockton, killing four people and injuring 10 others on Saturday evening. The shooting occurred around 6pm inside a banquet hall in Stockton, located in California’s Central Valley. Authorities say children are among…

Ad

By Abiola Olawale

Concerns have begun to emerge after reports suggested that prominent human rights lawyer, Dele Farotimi, is still being held at a detention facility after being granted bail by the Federal High Court in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State.

It would be recalled that Farotimi is standing trial on defamation charges brought against him by the Nigeria Police Force.(NPF).

Meanwhile, reports emerging on Monday revealed that Farotimi is still in detention due to the stalling of his bail application processing.

According to checks familiar with the development, the court needed to verify documents submitted by his sureties with banks and government agencies.

The checks added that the submission of the documents was completed last Friday concerning the bail plea granted by Justice Babs O. Kuewumi of the Federal High Court in Ekiti. However, the judge has reportedly not appended his signature on the documents to complete the bail application process.

“However, the judge has yet to sign off on these documents, preventing the prison authorities from releasing Farotimi,” one of the sources said.

Also, the bail plea granted by the Ekiti Magistrate Court is yet to materialise.

According to reports, the reason is because the Magistrate, Abayomi Adeosun departed court premises after the proceedings without completing the necessary bail formalities, further delaying Farotimi’s release.

“As for the Magistrate Court which ruled in favour of Farotimi’s bail, the Magistrate left after the proceedings and hadn’t attended to the bail process,” a source privy to the details of the case said.

The New Diplomat reports that Farotimi is currently facing trial in two courts on charges bordering on alleged defamation of Afe Babalola, a senior advocate of Nigeria and a well-known legal mogul in Nigeria.

The alleged defamation content l, which are contained in book which was published on July 2, 2024, dissected cases of alleged corruption in Nigeria’s judicial system.

However, his description of the country’s legal landscape has become a subject matter of litigation in the law court.

It would be recalled that Farotimi had been remanded in the detention facility of the Nigerian police Force by the magistrate court in Ado-Ekiti following his arrest on a 16-count charge of criminal defamation.

He was arrested by officers of the Ekiti police command in Lagos and transported to Ekiti for arraignment.

Ad

X whatsapp