Commuters React To New BRT Fares

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer
Commuters React To New BRT Fares

Ad

How I Was Able to Leave Guinea-Bissau Amid Coup– Jonathan 

By Abiola Olawale Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was leading an election observation mission, has recounted his evacuation from the coup-hit Guinea-Bissau. Jonathan, who was in Guinea-Bissau as the Head of the West African Elders Forum (WAEF) Election Observation Mission when the military took over power, explained how he was evacuated through an Ivorian…

2027: Jonathan's likely Presidential Bid gets PDP’s S'South Support as Rivers Kick, Split

FG Set to Launch Digital Single Travel Emergency Passport in January

By Abiola Olawale The Federal Government of Nigeria is set to launch the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) in January 2026. This new biometric travel document, replacing the outdated Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC), is said to be a key part of the government’s digital reform agenda aimed at strengthening identity management and providing seamless assistance…

Nigeria opens 50 oil, gas blocks as NUPRC launches 2025 licensing round

By Obinna Uballa The Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) has announced that 50 oil and gas blocks across multiple basins will be placed on offer as part of the 2025 Petroleum Licensing Round, scheduled to begin on December 1. The commission said the bid round, approved by President Bola Tinubu, will be conducted in…

Ad

Some users of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) transport in Lagos on Sunday expressed their views over the N100 increase in transportation fare which took effect on July 13.

They spoke in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos.

NAN reports that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu had approved the increase of N100 on all routes of the BRT to cover the increase in operational costs, such as diesel and spare parts.

A printer, Saka Lawal, who resides in Ikorodu and works at Fadeyi, said the state government should have listened to the opinion of the people before the final implementation.

Mr Lawal, who is a regular BRT passenger, said they had been discussing with the government through their WhatsApp platform for more than a month before the final outcome.

He said the money was high for some people and there was fear that other commercial buses would follow suit and increase their prices.

Mr Lawal urged the government to provide additional buses, especially at Ikorodu, to solve the problem of long queues which make many get to the office late daily.

“We understand that diesel is costly and not available at some filling stations but government should upgrade their standard and reduce queues at various bus-stops of BRT,” he said.

Adewale Johnson, a banker on Lagos Island, said the N100 increment was reasonable.

He, however, said there should be more buses to reduce the crowd at the bus stops to the barest minimum.

Toyin Ayilara, a trader who plies Abule-Egba to Oshodi, said the increment would affect her daily budget.
She also urged the government to get more buses.

Also, a rug seller at Itire, Yekini Sanusi, said he had purchased a N600 BRT top-up on the Cowry card, but ended up boarding other commercial buses after waiting in the queue for three hours.

“We are not satisfied with the increment, it used to be N300 from Ikorodu to CMS or Costain, during the heat of COVID-19 but it was increased to N500 while observing the social distancing.

“After the period, government refused to reduce the fare and increase the numbers in the buses and now they increased fare with N100,” Mr Sanusi said.

He pleaded with the state government to reverse the fare, as the country was facing a lot that was affecting the common people.

A tailor at Tejuosho market who resides at Ojo, Mary Emeka, pleaded with government to get more buses to ply the Ojo-CMS axis.(NAN).

Ad

X whatsapp