Central Bank of Nigeria Denies Links ToThe N13 Billion Seized Ffrom Lagos Apartment

Hamilton Nwosa
Writer
new-diplomat default image
new-diplomat default image

Ad

Tesla sales tumble 40% in Europe as BYD surges past rival

By Obinna Uballa Tesla’s grip on the European electric vehicle market continued to loosen in July, with sales plunging 40% year-on-year even as Chinese challenger BYD posted explosive growth, according to data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) on Thursday. New car registrations of Tesla vehicles totaled 8,837 in July, down 40% year-on-year, according…

Tinubu Returns to Abuja, Says Foreign Engagements ‘ll Enhance Nigeria’s Economic Growth

By Abiola Olawale President Bola Ahmed Tinubu returned to Abuja on Thursday, August 28, 2025, following a state visit to Brazil and an earlier visit to Japan. Shortly after his return, Tinubu stated that his international engagements are focused on fostering economic growth, job creation, and long-term prosperity for Nigerians. In a statement shared on…

Access HoldCo Names Innocent Ike CEO as Aig-Imoukhuede tightens grip after Wigwe’s death

By Obinna Uballa Access Holdings Plc has confirmed the appointment of Mr. Innocent Ike as its substantive Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (GMD/CEO), effective August 29, 2025, following approval from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Managing Director of Access Bank, resigned…

Ad

Intelligence Agency (NIA) that he approved and released the massive stash of cash recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) from an apartment in Ikoyi, Lagos, former President Goodluck Jonathan has remained silent on the matter.

The former president’s spokesperson has for days declined requests to state Mr. Jonathan’s side of the story.

Operatives of the EFCC, acting on a tip-off on Wednesday, said they found $43,449,947, ÂŁ27,800 and N23,218,000 hidden inside an apartment at Osborne Towers, Ikoyi.

The funds are valued at N13 billion based on prevailing exchange rate set by the Central Bank of Nigeria.

The EFCC circulated photograph and video footage of the operation, sparking nationwide outrage.

But the anti-graft agency has so far failed to disclose ownership of the recovered funds.

As Nigerians and civic groups demanded clarification about the recovered cash, sources in the presidency quoted the NIA Director General, Ayodele Oke, as telling President Muhammadu Buhari that Mr. Jonathan released the money to the agency for covert security projects.

But Mr. Jonathan has remained silent despite requests by our reporter for him to speak on the matter.

For two days, repeated telephone calls, text messages and email enquiries to the former president’s spokesperson, Ikechukwu Eze, were neither answered nor returned.

The presidency is also yet to officially comment on the matter. CBN not sure it paid Ikoyi billions to NIA

When contacted, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) said it was not sure, as at Saturday, that the recovered billions, in mint fresh notes, moved directly from the bank to the NIA.

The security agency had claimed that it received the funds directly from the CBN.

But when contacted by an Online media to clarify its role in the disbursement of the funds, the CBN spokesperson, Isaac Okorafor, said, “It is true the Central Bank of Nigeria issues mint fresh notes, but it is only to banks.

“After that (issuance to banks) CBN does not know which of their customers they (the banks) give those notes to and for what purpose.

“I cannot say if the notes the NIA is claiming came from the CBN. So, I will not be able to answer questions on it for now, except I receive a specific request.”

Ad

X whatsapp