- Insists 2023 Elections ‘ll Hold…No Third Term Agenda
President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday said his administration has given enough time to forces of destruction in the country, noting that war mongers will soon receive the “shock of their lives.”
Buhari, who spoke from heart, albeit with a more combative tone, was reacting to the wanton killings and destruction of public properties going on in the country as the nation’s security continues to see a continuous rocking from all sides.
At a meeting where he received briefing from Chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Mahmood Yakubu, on the incessant attacks on INEC facilities nationwide, he cautioned secessionists in parts of the country against plunging the country into another civil war as he reminded them of the catastrophe that followed the experience.
“Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand.
“We are going to be very hard sooner than later.”
Buhari further said that he receives daily security reports on the ongoing attacks in the country.
He said it is very clear that “those behind them want this administration to fail,” he said.
“Insecurity in Nigeria is now mentioned all over the world. All the people who want power, whoever they are, you wonder what they really want.
“Whoever wants the destruction of the system will soon have the shock of their lives. We’ve given them enough time.”
President Buhari, who noted that he visited all the 36 states of the country before the 2019 election, said “majority of the people believed me and the election proved it”.
He promised to continue leading the country in accordance with Constitutional provisions.
Speaking on the concerns raised over the burning of INEC facilities ahead of the 2023 polls, President Buhari said he would give the electoral commission all it requires, “so that no one would say we don’t want to go, or that we want a third term.
“There will be no excuse for failure. We’ll meet all INEC’s demands,” Buhari assured.
Meanwhile, in his briefing, Prof Yakubu said that so far, there have been 42 cases of attacks on INEC offices nationwide, since the last General Election.
“The 42 incidents so far occurred in 14 states of the Federation for a variety of reasons..
“Most of the attacks happened in the last seven months, and they are unrelated to protest against previous elections.
“From the pattern and frequency of the most recent attacks, they appear to be targeted at future elections.
“The intention is to incapacitate the Commission, undermine the nation’s democracy and precipitate a national crisis.”